I'm left handed....

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
...Do you think that this would be a problem in the shooting range?

I can currently shoot left or right handed, but I am much much better shooting left handed, due to my left eye being more dominant.

Thanks in advance.

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Im not sure but i think you will have to shoot with the right hand due to the side in which the empty cartridge is flung out, i think, sure someone else will say something if im wrong.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It won't pose a problem as long as you are ambidextrous. Concentrate on using your right more often. As long as you pass all of your tests on the shooting range, there will be no problems.

Mad Manc Matt

Reaction score
It wont make a difference to you mate because like Lord Carl said all SA80's are right handed,

And if you try on your left your going get the cocking handle smash you in the grid right into next week. :)

You got taught from day one with your right hand.

Im left handed mate and i have no problem with the SA80,

There are loads of people i know are left handed, once you've fired it a few times you'll never even think about holding it with your left it will feel un-natural and you'll subconsciously remember you cannot fire it in that hand any way.

Matt

Roddie

Reaction score
I'm left handed, and I got marksmen for somerset.
if you can close your left eye,
no problems.

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeh I can close my left eye.

So... do people really have problems closing just one eye? I have never heard of this problem.

Reaction score
SA80

hay,
im halfway through my application process and i was just wondering, in training do they supply the recruits with both left and right handed SA80's or is it just right handed because im more confident with my left hand, but can also do sum skills with my right as im ampidextrus, shud i start learning how to use my right hand and eye more or would it really matter? 8)

Any help most appreciated!!

thanks luke :D

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Hi Luke,

It's just right handed I'm afraid. Plus there is something in the medical now to make sure you can close the correct eye whilst holding the other one open to simulate firing the sa80 right handed.

All the best

GW

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
All weapons are fired and are right-handed. And, believe it or not as part of your medical you must be able to close your left eye whilst keeping the right eye open.

Damn! You beat me to it GW!

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
yep I love to get it out just as much as you Ninja, people still not believe it but you can have all the further ones because when I say it, people think I'm making it up.

:*text deleted*:

GW

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Careful

For the lefthanders, make sure you get used to using the weapon right handed because, if you get it wrong on the day the moving parts will smash your teeth in.

personally, I think its unfair, but that's life for you. :roll:

Cheers

Steve

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
It was explained to us as a uniformity issue.

This means that the weapons guy in your troop or platoon etc only has to carry the spare parts for one type of weapon. Makes things a lot simpler from their point of view.

As the majority of guys are right handed, this is the weapon they use.

GW

Globe-Trotter

PRMC Passed
Reaction score
Re: Careful

ste preece said:
For the lefthanders, make sure you get used to using the weapon right handed because, if you get it wrong on the day the moving parts will smash your teeth in.

or hot brass rolling down your face :*text deleted*:

RossRobObey

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Left Handers...

Hey guys,

I'm left handed, do everything left handed; when I go paint balling etc, eating, drawing/writing.
Anyway, what I'm asking is, if everything goes to plan, will I get taught to shoot left or right handed?

Ross.

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You will have to shoot right handed, otherwise you would have a nice red hot cartridge burning into your face.

RossRobObey

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for whoever merged the threads - I assume it's Ninja.

I relatively ambidextrous, so I should be OK. ... Can close my left eye no probs etc, .

Thanks,
Ross.