Im so FUKIN chuffed

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Im well pleased. I just found out today, don't know why I wasn't told before, but during WW2 my grandad fought in the SBS including serving in Burma!

My Dad has his Burma cross and a few more medals of his that I will be able to wear on my passing out parade!!

I'm well proud of him, aparently he once had to row a rubber dinghy up to a german submarine and board it barefoot so not to make too much noise and look for stuff that could be useful, documents etc. He wasn't alowed to take a gun *text deleted* it would make noise. So unarmed, barefoot, in an enemy sub!!

Just thought I'd share that!

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Wow! that's why I never underestimate old people.. speaking of old people :smile: my uncle is a ex-navy and father ex-army, some of the tales they've told me are incredable!

Luke023

Reaction score
bloody hell, so looks like you got elite forces in you. i would put a bet on you passing out then

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
None of my other relatives have ever served, that I'm aware of, but I just that was pretty cool.

My Dad has been telling me some of his stories, especially Burma, it's mental. He died 2 years ago and I never knew is was a commando in the SBS, but I guess he wouldn't have appreciated me grilling him for stories had I known.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
That's a pretty cool thing to find out, I would want to know as much as I can. And great that you can wear his medals on parade?

I now feel a great urge to find out more about my grandfather. He was in the Navy 1938 - 1945 I think. A radio operator, but probably many stories to tell. I would ask him myself but he's a bit...tends to ramble a bit now he is in his 80's. I will see if he has any service medals.

So you can ware these on parade? And it wouldn't matter if they are Navy Medals?

Gtlaau

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thats a great story mate.:applaus:

I hope you make them proud by becoming a commando yourself. i am sure they are supporting you were ever they are

Cheers tom

smallzy

Reaction score
im jealous of you man, my grand parents ain't worth *text deleted**text deleted*

dads dad - died before i was born
dads mom - bitch, hates my mom and sees us once every 3 months

moms dad - last time i saw the *text deleted**text deleted** was 4 years ago, never showed any effort to be a grandad to me
moms mom - alcoholic, probably had 3 conversations with her my entire life, didn't really give a *text deleted**text deleted* when she died

Wish I had family that was in the Military. Hopefully with my cousin in the Army right now(just got back from Afghanistan) and me joining the RM we'll be the grandads with all the stories 50 years from now.

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
My great uncle was a commando during world war 2, not sure where he got deployed though.

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Thats awesome mate, you've got a good bloodline then, and some big boots to fill now (except for when he went barefoot!) :D

I have just finished reading "The inside story of the SBS" and the stories of the early days of the frogmen like your grandfather who would leave submarines or whatever then either swim or canoe to enemy ships and board them/ place mines are incredible.

smallzy

Reaction score
I have just finished reading "The inside story of the SBS" and the stories of the early days of the frogmen like your grandfather who would leave submarines or whatever then either swim or canoe to enemy ships and board them/ place mines are incredible.
yeah man, that must have took some serious balls

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
That's a pretty cool thing to find out, I would want to know as much as I can. And great that you can wear his medals on parade?

I now feel a great urge to find out more about my grandfather. He was in the Navy 1938 - 1945 I think. A radio operator, but probably many stories to tell. I would ask him myself but he's a bit...tends to ramble a bit now he is in his 80's. I will see if he has any service medals.

So you can ware these on parade? And it wouldn't matter if they are Navy Medals?
Wouldn't matter!?? The Marines are a part of the Navy..........

But yes, you can wear your Grandparents Medals on Parade on your right chest.

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Wouldn't matter!?? The Marines are a part of the Navy..........

But yes, you can wear your Grandparents Medals on Parade on your right chest.
F*kin hell, wouldn't want to be prince harry or william on parade, trying to stand up with all the gongs their ancestors have accumulated over the years

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Im well pleased. I just found out today, don't know why I wasn't told before, but during WW2 my grandad fought in the SBS including in Burma!

My Dad has his Burma cross and a few more medals of his that I will be able to wear on my passing out parade!!

I'm well proud of him, aparently he once had to row a rubber dinghy up to a german submarine and board it barefoot so not to make too much noise and look for stuff that could be useful, documents etc. He wasn't alowed to take a gun *text deleted* it would make noise. So unarmed, barefoot, in an enemy sub!!

Just thought I'd share that!
Ace! You *text deleted* follow in his footsteps?

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
No, I really doubt I could make it into the SBS, the Marines is going to be hard enough!

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
quality story something to think about during the 30 miler *text deleted* it would keep me going

S

Sotiris

That's tres groovy Matt. I love the stories my grandad used to tell me when I was younger. He was a Captain and a Tank Commander in WWII.

He's the reason I want to carry on soldiering.