Im unsure whether to postpone my join date or not?

Sendit

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I passed prmc last week (15th of September prmc) and I got a call from my CA today giving me a join date of the 9th of november.

Problem is i have an injury in my calf which I'd like to get sorted. I've been carrying this Injury since my pjft (roughly 3 months ago). foolishly i didnt stop and let it recover, i just cracked on with prmc training and ignored it as best as i could.

Now prmc is out the way I have taken this week off training and I plan on starting training again mid next week (depending on how the calf feels). If its still bad then I'll take another 4-5 days off. My main concern is that I don't have enough time to recover as well as smash my fitness. There are definitely areas of my fitness i would like to improve and 4-5 weeks training doesn't seem like enough?

If anyone could give some advice I'd appreciate it, cheers guys

Nathan100101

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Speak to your afco? You should be fine taking a week or so off and not loosing much if any fitness but added to the fact you have already passed prmc means you are fit enough for RT.

I would say call them to let them know you are injured as for all you know it may take longer to heal. Hope this helps fella and good luck ;)

Mr D

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
@Sendit You don't need to smash your fitness,by passing PRMC you are deemed by the RM to have achieved a standard of fitness reqd to start RT,remember training is progressive in RT just don't let your fitness drop or gain weight etc, Your plan above is not far off mate just leave it a few more days after the date you set yourself to return to training and make your decision then, only you can make that decision not your CA,nor anyone on these boards,just do not go down to CTC carrying any injury as you are most definitely setting yourself up for a fall.
Good luck in RT when you get there be it on the 9th Nov or beyond.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
All I'd suggest, is if you are not 100% "good to go" by the end of the third week in October, call your AFCO to defer entry.

Joining before Christmas at least means foundation is out the way.

Sendit

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys, exactly what I needed to hear to be honest. I'll leave the decision until later this month and just crack on as normal.

@Ninja_Stoker out of curiosity, when would the next join date be after the 9th of nov? I heard a rumour that entry dates aren't every two weeks anymore

Xerath

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys, exactly what I needed to hear to be honest. I'll leave the decision until later this month and just crack on as normal.

@Ninja_Stoker out of curiosity, when would the next join date be after the 9th of nov? I heard a rumour that entry dates aren't every two weeks anymore

I've also heard they're reducing the number of Recruit Troops

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I've also heard they're reducing the number of Recruit Troops
News to me. Can't see it myself, they increased numbers required next year, last I heard.

Obviously they stop over Xmas for leave, but I'd have thought the last intake was about 7th December.

I'll double check, come monday.

anderson-1712

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I was on your prmc and I've been given 9/11, come join me, 6 weeks of stretching and recovery you'll be good to go

Mr D

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
WOW a Psychic doctor.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Got to go with most of the comments above , if you have been carrying the injury for a few months it is very , very unlikely to heal in 1 week to be honest..you may need a couple of weeks of ..you could train with static weights to improve on other bits over that time to keep in the phys groove..but look very seriously and maybe the chance that you will start at a later date , loads of guys start at CTC with a low level injury that the are carrying when the arrive and it seriously bites them in the rear...can not stress it enough..DO NOT TURN UP WITH A INJURY...RT is relentless and why set yourself up for possible trouble if no need to.

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Would you rather post pone your rt date or have your injury get worse and sent home?

anderson-1712

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Pipe down mr d, I was just speaking lightly saying see how it goes, it depends on the injury if it's small injury it may heal in time with a bit of non impact phys and some tlc however if it's more serious it may need more, he has 6 weeks to try and get it back to full health which is a reasonable amount of time depending on the injury, just didn't want him to ring up and prospone it and it heal in time, there's no reason why he can't wait a few weeks and then ring up

Mr D

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sure that's the way everybody interpreted your original post Dr,

Sendit

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
After reading these posts I think its probably too early to make a decision. But the injury feels like its almost gone so I'll start training again Tuesday or Wednesday but with very light runs/cycling/rowing etc. And just see how it goes from there. No matter what happens though I won't be going down to CTC with an injury