Improve My Running

Roy Brown

Reaction score
Ok I am 15 years old and have a very poor level of fitness. I went out this morning and for some stupid reason decided to be all competitive and tried to run a mile in around 7 minutes was my target. Predictably it actually took me 12 minutes to finish the mile and i was shattered and had sore feet. I understand i will just be told run the mile at a very very slow pace next time even though you will end up finishing in like 18 minutes. But i struggle to understand how running it slower will make me quicker?

Tarod

Reaction score
Its about feeling the way at first. Just go out and run a mile (or better still 1.5 miles) at a pace thats on the border between comfortable and uncomfortable (so you are breathing heavily but dont feel like you are about to burst!) remember to have a 5 minute warm up before and do some dynamic stretching (with movement not just bending and holding) Do this a couple of times a week and at the end of the week try to push yourself quite hard. Next week you may be able to shave 15-20 seconds off from your Comfort/uncomfortable border time and by the time you come round to push yourself quite hard you will see improvments. Couple of weeks of slowly reducing your time and you will soon be ready!

Roy Brown

Reaction score
Thanks for the help mate just a few more questions. I believe the age to apply to be a Royal Marine is 17 i'm not sure on that one and if so that means i will have 2 years to improve my running. Is that enough time to shave off 5 minutes on my mile? Again thanks very much.

brownie123

Reaction score
The minimum Age to apply for the royal marines is 15yrs 9months old, Minimum age to join the RM is 16 years old :)

brownie123

Reaction score
As for your running; start off with a 1.5m at a pace your comfortable with and you will gradually get fitter and you wont be as tired from running 1.5m as when you first started.

The first route i ever ran was 2.5m, i struggled at first and stopped a few times throughout my run but only for about 20 seconds and then carried on running. Eventually i could do the route that well that i could run it and then run it again. It takes time to get fit for everyone you cant just run once and hope your going to be the next paula radcliffe.

I recomend you start off running 1.5mile at a pace your comfortable with, if you feel you have to stop then stop for 20seconds and walk at a reasonable pace then carry on running. Dont concentrate on being tired or how much you got left, concentrate on how much you have already done and do something like listen to music and the time will fly by you wont realise your tired. Chant something in your head, try and work an equasion out. Personally i say left left left right left in my head when im running don't know why it just takes my mind off things.

If its your first time run 3 days a week [mon/wen/fri] 1.5mile at a comfortable pace then build it up gradually, time every run but dont try and beat your first time just do it comfortabely. :)

Roy Brown

Reaction score
Thanks a lot mate i was just reading the posts on the board of you guys doing 1.5 miler in under 9 mins and so thought i needed to be able to do that myself straight away silly me. Hopefully once i've been running a while i will be able to do it in 9 mins.

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Took me a while to get to that mate.Train hard but sensibly to mate. I really struggle with phys, am not big or strong, have to really push myself to train and just passed prmc yesterday. If I can do it mate, you can definitely do it

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i found doing hill sprints or sprint sessions really helped me increase my average running speed. i went from an average of 8 min miles cross country to 7:30 in about a month or so.

Just find a really big hill, sprint up it for 50 to 100 meters then jog down to the start and do it again.

do something like 10 reps, 2 min rest, 8 reps, 2 min rest, etc.. all the way down to 2 or 1

you can change the reps to suit you if you wish.

I also found going balls out on a 1.5 to 3 mile run once a week helped.

either way you just *text deleted* keep training and all will fall into place.

brownie123

Reaction score
Congrats on that brucey, can you pm me what u got?

Situps, pressups, 3mile time etc thanks *text deleted* :)