Improving BFT Time

Ninjaman

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on how to improve BFT time currently on a 10m 27s and would like to improve that to 9m 30s and would you say 4 months is enough to improve this?

B11

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hill sprints are always good, also shorter higher intensity runs like 0.5-1 mile
intervals will help.
4 months should be enough time to reach that target if you put the effort in

Ninjaman

Reaction score
Hill sprints are always good, also shorter higher intensity runs like 0.5-1 mile
intervals will help.
4 months should be enough time to reach that target if you put the effort in
How many runs a week would u say? Because my current running schedule is:
1xBFT
1x6mile
1x400m intervals
1x800m intervals

i do 12x400m
And 6x800m
On separate days of course.

B11

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
How many runs a week would u say? Because my current running schedule is:
1xBFT
1x6mile
1x400m intervals
1x800m intervals

i do 12x400m
And 6x800m
On separate days of course.
All depends on what level your at and how you feel, some people will say not to do too much as you’ll get shin splints etc, however I think it’s important to build up a workload of running that makes you robust and less prone to injury when you start RT, that’s just my take on it and many would disagree but I had no problems with injury throughout RT
The actual runs you do I would mix up, a lot of what I did was about the intensity and effort I put in, to get a good BFT time it’s all about opening your lungs up, I found the best way to do that was around the 1 mile distance as you can work at a really high intensity rest and then repeat.
Personally I would put a 3/4 mile run in as well as I think that’s a good distance to get benefit for BFT but also miles in the legs

Ninjaman

Reaction score
All depends on what level your at and how you feel, some people will say not to do too much as you’ll get shin splints etc, however I think it’s important to build up a workload of running that makes you robust and less prone to injury when you start RT, that’s just my take on it and many would disagree but I had no problems with injury throughout RT
The actual runs you do I would mix up, a lot of what I did was about the intensity and effort I put in, to get a good BFT time it’s all about opening your lungs up, I found the best way to do that was around the 1 mile distance as you can work at a really high intensity rest and then repeat.
Personally I would put a 3/4 mile run in as well as I think that’s a good distance to get benefit for BFT but also miles in the legs
So should I get rid of the 6 miler and replace it with a 3/4 mile run

B11

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I wouldn’t get rid of it, I’d maybe start a two week running plan, like someone mentioned before and work all the different distances in but up the workload on your weaker areas

Ninjaman

Reaction score
I wouldn’t get rid of it, I’d maybe start a two week running plan, like someone mentioned before and work all the different distances in but up the workload on your weaker areas
So run 5 times a week?

B11

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
No 3-4 times is enough to get you ready for training. I was running every other day

B11

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
These were the types of runs I did the majority of the time

Hill sprints
0.5-1 mile intervals
Bft
3-4 miler
6 miler

for example
Day 1 4 miler
Day 3 hill sprints
Day 5 4 miler
Day 7 Bft

week 2
Day 2 4 miler
Day 4 1 miler intervals
Day 6 6 miles
I did very few 6 miles plus as I had decent stamina so focused more on shorter stuff, thats all dependant on where your at and what you’re good at.

Ninjaman

Reaction score
These were the types of runs I did the majority of the time

Hill sprints
0.5-1 mile intervals
Bft
3-4 miler
6 miler

for example
Day 1 4 miler
Day 3 hill sprints
Day 5 4 miler
Day 7 Bft

week 2
Day 2 4 miler
Day 4 1 miler intervals
Day 6 6 miles
I did very few 6 miles plus as I had decent stamina so focused more on shorter stuff, thats all dependant on where your at and what you’re good at.
I’m just focusing on getting the BFT down so should I focus on the shorter runs

B11

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yeah if that’s the goal I would be running 3 milers, hill sprints and intervals

Ninjaman

Reaction score
Yeah if that’s the goal I would be running 3 milers, hill sprints and intervals
So for example:
1x3 mile
1xHill sprint
1x400m intervals

or is there something better I could do?

highland_blue89

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on how to improve BFT time currently on a 10m 27s and would like to improve that to 9m 30s and would you say 4 months is enough to improve this?

4 months I more than enough time. Just keep at it, you could probably hit sub 9 within 4 months.

B11

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
So for example:
1x3 mile
1xHill sprint
1x400m intervals

or is there something better I could do?
Yeah mix it up, get a BFT in there every couple weeks, longer intervals sometimes, don’t worry too much about set routines just keep putting the miles in and you’ll get there

J9R4W

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
@B11 You said you managed to avoid injury in training, did you do any conditioning work besides getting the miles in with running in prep for RT? Do you have any tips to avoid injury or is it more a case of luck? Thanks.

B11

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
@B11 You said you managed to avoid injury in training, did you do any conditioning work besides getting the miles in with running in prep for RT? Do you have any tips to avoid injury or is it more a case of luck? Thanks.
What sort of conditioning work do you mean? I did a lot of martial arts and things like that from a young age, also my afco ran gym sessions and sessions similar to bottom field. I’m a big believer in you toughen up to your environment, I think the more you put yourself through to a extent the more it hardens up. I think sometimes if you avoid certain things to try and reduce wear and tear it becomes a bigger shock to the system when you experience it. That’s just my take on it though, I know some people gets lots of injuries so try and manage them before training.

Ninjaman

Reaction score
Yeah mix it up, get a BFT in there every couple weeks, longer intervals sometimes, don’t worry too much about set routines just keep putting the miles in and you’ll get there
Yeah forgot to put the BFT

Reactions: B11

J9R4W

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
What sort of conditioning work do you mean? I did a lot of martial arts and things like that from a young age, also my afco ran gym sessions and sessions similar to bottom field. I’m a big believer in you toughen up to your environment, I think the more you put yourself through to a extent the more it hardens up. I think sometimes if you avoid certain things to try and reduce wear and tear it becomes a bigger shock to the system when you experience it. That’s just my take on it though, I know some people gets lots of injuries so try and manage them before training.
Okay got you, I was just thinking of any weighted compound work really like squat/deadlift/lunges etc., to build up leg strength. Did you focus on leg strengthening especially before RT or did that just come from the running you were doing? Cheers