Improving for prmc

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Sharky2017, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Sharky2017

Sharky2017 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hi I'm waiting for a prmc date soon and was wondering if anyone knew how to improve my press ups.
    I'm getting around 40 ish varies on the day to 45 and wanting to improve to over 60.
    Sit ups to bleep test -85/85
    Pull ups to bleep test -14/16
    Press ups to bleep test 40/60
    1.5mile - 9.37
    Bleep test run lvl 12.4

When I go down to prmc I don't want to be hitting the requirements want to make sure i do as best I can and if anyone could tell me where I should improve and tips it would be much appreciated thank you.

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Firstly, confirm that you are doing your existing press ups to the exact correct form. I understand that YouTube has clips demonstrating the correct form required at PRMC.

Not being glib but the best way to improve numbers is to do lots of press ups to correct form.

One technique which might improve performance is to slow down each individual press up rep to extract maximum pain from it. Maybe mix a few such sets into your regular press up routine. Hopefully others will chip in with their own suggestions.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sharky2017

Sharky2017 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Thanks mate appreciate the advice, I've been doing them in the correct form from the taster day. And having people watch my form. I'll try do more press ups and mix them up.

I do my max sets and then have a 20 second rest and then do 20 more and rest. Maybe I should try a different method than that.

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Be mindful of what you will be required to do on your PRMC and train to exceed the requirement. If you haven't already done so, check out the PRMC diaries and read others' experiences with the bleep tests.

Although it's sometimes considered heresy to suggest it, rest also can help. Someone belting out mega numbers of press ups daily might see a longer term improvement if recovery days are integrated. Aim for peak performance coinciding with PRMC.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. Circuits21

Circuits21 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    First of all they are very solid stats! I would just like to echo @Chelonian about rest being important. A 20 second rest in between sets is good for the pump/exhaustion feeling (certainly needed!) but try throwing in some max sets with 60-90 seconds rest (even active rest such as rowing/jogging/bike).

5 -6 sets of 35-40 push ups would be better than sets of 35 then 30 then 25 then 20 etc push ups. Get your body used to the 40+ reps and your body will soon treat this like a minimum, not a maximum. Try this:

3 sets maximum - 90 secs rest
    3 sets maximum - 60 secs rest
    3 sets maximum - 30 secs rest

I also am a strong believer in tabata style training - 20 seconds work 10 seconds rest x 8

• Like Like x 2
  6. Sharky2017

Sharky2017 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT

Thanks for the advice as well mate I'll give that circuit a try now and use it for the next few weeks to see if I see any improvement with these push ups.

Should I incorporate some weighted push ups and dips into that routine or just use my own body weight for now ?

7. Circuits21

Circuits21 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Try it without weight for now and see how it feels. Like everything, if you can make it harder (safely and effectively) then 100% do it.

Good luck!

8. Sharky2017

Sharky2017 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Just done that circuit with the 1.30 secs and got 40-35-31 so need to keep that up. Appreciate that advice think that's where I've been going wrong is resting time

• Like Like x 1
  9. EdV

EdV Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Sorry to jump in on this, but I've always struggled with the upper body side of things. Is the rest between the 3 sets the same? As in, you finish 3 sets with 90 secs rest, then rest 90 secs then start the 60 sec sets? Or would the rest be like 90-120 secs between each set of 3?

Sorry if that's a really obvious question! Will be trying this tonight.

10. Sharky2017

Sharky2017 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    So what I am doing now is to do one set then 90 secs rest. Set then rest and set and rest.
    Once I'm getting my scores up I'll then decrease the resting time on the press ups. Hope that makes some sense to you

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sharky2017

Sharky2017 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    And keep each resting time at 90 secs until your finding it easier

12. Circuits21

Circuits21 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    No worries dude. Do 3 sets with 90 secs rest between each set. Call that round 1. Round 2 will be 3 sets of max reps but 60 secs rest. Round 3 3 sets of max reps but only 30 secs between sets. There will be 9 sets in total

The rest between ROUNDS is down to you but I would suggest that between rounds to get a few minute rests so the energy can be recharged and your not just doing a few press ups with poor form.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1