Improving press ups?

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by MozzaLUFC, Feb 9, 2018.

1. MozzaLUFC

MozzaLUFC Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Ok, my pull ups are fairly good, and my sit ups are good, but the one thing I'm struggling to improve are press ups, i can currently do about 30-35, and basically i would like any advice on what some people have done to improve their press ups. Thanks

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Doing more press ups is a well proven way to improve. I'm not being glib; it is a simple but effective plan.

Focus on doing each individual press up to exact form even if at first the overall number drops. If you're struggling with correct form research some core strength exercises which will improve stability of abdomen and back.

Hopefully others will chip in with what has worked for them. Best of luck.

3. posh_punter

posh_punter Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fozzdogzz

Fozzdogzz New Member

App Stage:
    Awaiting selection after AIB pass
    Try adding this circuit to your routine, it's helped improve my push ups.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bellionaire679

Bellionaire679 Member

Progressive overload.

Set yourself a a certain amount of reps in a set and increase it ever so slightly every session.

For example,

My set is 20 press ups for 4 sets. Next session. I will do 22 press ups for 4 sets.

It’s a long process but it was never going to be an overnight fix

6. YellowBelly98

YellowBelly98 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    My best tip is something which Sean Lerwill, a former RM Officer PTI said - KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). So to train press ups, keep it simple and just do press ups, but for tricks on how to up the numbers I have a few tips.

1. Whenever you see some time, bang the max amount of press ups you can do out.

2. Perform press ups in a sequence. If you can do 35 press ups, do 20 press ups and then have a minute break or so. Then do 19 press ups, minute break, 18 press ups, minute break, and so on until you can't keep going. This I find has helped me a lot by keeping the press ups low, but sets high.

3. Do the press ups slow instead of up, down, up, down. So count two seconds going down, hold for two seconds, up for two seconds etc.

Hope this helps!

7. MozzaLUFC

MozzaLUFC Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Cheers for all the helpfull tips lads, I did a session last night where I did 5 max rep sets with 90 secs rest per set, then I did max rep 10 second press ups for 3 sets with 60 seconds rest and then I maxed out on triceps dips and diamond press ups, might try something a little different for my next session with some of your tips.

8. Clumsy

Clumsy Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Get a weighted vest