In The Beginning

Roy Brown

Reaction score
OK guys i've been training for a while now and my sit-ups push-ups and pull-ups have come on greatly. But at the start of my running i pushed myself too hard because i felt almost walking pace 2 milers wouldn't help me get quicker at all. Inevitably i developed shin-splints and had them for a while and then they went. But still doing awfully slow runs doesn't sound beneficial to me at all. So will it? Or can you offer me something else to try.

chelseafc

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
everyone has to start somewhere an if u can only run at a slow pace it dosent matter u will get quicker the more u run it takes time but in the mean while try going to *text deleted* local gym an run on a treadmill it should be easyer on *text deleted* shins an u can try an increae the pace every week. hope this helps

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
there are those that would say longer slow runs are better. others say faster shorter runs are better. i have been mixing the two. try one slow long run, one shorter fast run and one med sized run with sprints every x mins (per week that is), and throw in some cycling/swimming. it worked for me.
also running on grass will help prevent shin splints (not hugely but every little helps)

Babybell

Reaction score
Running on grass and flat even surfaces should help too. Any running is better than not running. Have you thought about going on bike rides?

M

MTW

of your shin splits are bad, (like mine two months before RT......sh*t) then cut out the running completely, just hit the swimming, bike riding and rowwing, and you will still increase your fitness.

mrdanie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
swimming is superb, plus you don't get sweaty :p

Ipodbob

Reaction score
i used to have the same problem, originally i was *text deleted**text deleted*e at running and then i had shin splints, but honestly just mix up your running and any kind of phys. Do one day a fast 3 miler and do the last 5 mins a nice gentle pace. Swim hard for 30 mins the next day or cycle for 45 preferably up some hills. have the next day off the again run again possibly with hill sprints included or some farlek sprints (lamppost to lamppost stuff), cycle/swim the next then the 3rd day a gentle longer run say 6 miles in and hour or whatever you can achieve. Then rest another day and start all over again.

As long as you keep training and mix up your running/leg work rather than just doing 4 3 mile runs a week because your unlikely to improve very fast by doing the exact same thing every time. I went from a 10:37 mile and a half to 9:15 within a month just from this routine. Hope this helps.

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Try cycling, any mountain bike will go, just get your legs working hard and in a low gear so its hard to pedal. Its helped my running alot, especially my thighes, they've gone alot stronger and have much more endurance than before, combine that with running and you're onto a winner.

IT PAYS TO BE A WINNER MEN!!:dinner::dinner: