Increase in people wanting to join

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Its good to see, makes me want to become a Royal Marine and do these people proud. It would be great to come back from a tour in Afghan to thousands of people lining the streets just to welcome you home. Brilliant, it looks like more and more of the public are finally understanding the effort of British troops.

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
very nice, perhaps the country hasn't gone to rat $hit just yet :)

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Great news, although i think the comments at the bottom of the article are valid!
very nice, perhaps the country hasn't gone to rat $hit just yet :)
Don't know whether i'd go that far:blink1:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
There's no doubt there has been a substantial surge in recruiting figures.

Normally in AFCOs we see a seasonal drop around this time of year as the uninitiated fear they may be off to sunnier climes before Christmas if they apply now. (Obviously they won't).

Whether it's a surge in public support, lack of jobs available because of the financial crisis or both is difficult to discern.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
There's no doubt there has been a substantial surge in recruiting figures.

Normally in AFCOs we see a seasonal drop around this time of year as the uninitiated fear they may be off to sunnier climes before Christmas if they apply now. (Obviously they won't).

Whether it's a surge in public support, lack of jobs available because of the financial crisis or both is difficult to discern.

What would you say would be the biggest reason for the interest of a career in the Royal Marines.

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
What would you say would be the biggest reason for the interest of a career in the Royal Marines.

People not knowing the reality of war probably. There are a lot of things out to do with war, video's, documentaries, films, games, books... etc

It's probably that series Commando On The Frontline that inspired everyone. Yeah a bloody good series but I don't think they showed enough footage of war itself.

Also Ross Kemp In Afghanistan probably inspired many, but as you can see it's enjoyable to watch war but to be part of it? We can only find out for ourselfs!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score

Probably many of the things mentioned above compared in relation to the average individual's civilian life.

In many ways the perceived adventure, kudos amongst the individuals' family & peers and doubtless a huge boost to self-worth are contributing factors. If it was just a case of doing something different to most, then there would be little sway towards the Marines. I honestly believe, rightly or wrongly, that the phrase: "99.99% need not apply" actually persuades a fair few they want to be part of what they consider to be the elite.

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I honestly believe, rightly or wrongly, that the phrase: "99.99% need not apply" actually persuades a fair few they want to be part of what they consider to be the elite.

I honestly believe there is also a fairly high proportion of people who thought 'Ah, fu*k it then, if it's that hard I'll just join the army.'

C

critchmufc

Its good to see, makes me want to become a Royal Marine and do these people proud. It would be great to come back from a tour in Afghan to thousands of people lining the streets just to welcome you home. Brilliant, it looks like more and more of the public are finally understanding the effort of British troops.

i agree, the public are now giving the respect the troops deserve

i remember reading in the paper, in 2005 or 2006 when the 40 Commando came home from afghanistan, they marched through empty streets...but when they came home last year, thousands of people were there, and thats the way it should be

Iles

Reaction score
Personally I feel that it's a mixture of many things, you get the people who would of always joined, then as the comments under the article say with increased unemployment etc you get more people consider the Military as an option that wouldn't have if they had regular work in a civy job.

Also with more media coverage about what our troops do and with more support and recognition (only a good thing) you get people wanting to join on the back of it.

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Im joining because i cant afford my gym membership anymore.

R. M. Pitt

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I got told today that in Birmingham the council told someone selling poppies to move because he's disturbing people (or something like that) does anyone know if this is true?

Sorry for off topic

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I honestly believe there is also a fairly high proportion of people who thought 'Ah, fu*k it then, if it's that hard I'll just join the army.'

We are not seeking to recruit people who give up easily, so if someone thinks it's too difficult from the outset, the phrase arguably serves it's purpose. Whilst there is a perception it puts people off, the vast majority of my successful applicants found it inspired them.

Whether it has benefitted the Army, I honestly couldn't judge, but it's unlikely they wish to recruit quitters either.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Whether it has benefitted the Army, I honestly couldn't judge, but it's unlikely they wish to recruit quitters either.

I dont know, when i went to the AFCO to try and apply for the Rifles the guy nearly bit my hand off.....after a few days thinking i decided to try again for the Marines.

Personally, for me the only reason i want the marines is becasue when i go into combat, i want to be at the very front of the action....full on arm to arm combat. Face to face, dont ask me why.....i just do.

Also i have a few mates in the Marines, some better than others. Some old enough to have served with some people in here. That attachment, and constant reminder of how world class the boys are reminds me of why its so hard to get in.

But seriously to fight full on is a big attraction to me.

Now im wondering if thats a tad bit odd?

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
I dont know, when i went to the AFCO to try and apply for the Rifles the guy nearly bit my hand off.....after a few days thinking i decided to try again for the Marines.

Personally, for me the only reason i want the marines is becasue when i go into combat, i want to be at the very front of the action....full on arm to arm combat. Face to face, dont ask me why.....i just do.

Also i have a few mates in the Marines, some better than others. Some old enough to have served with some people in here. That attachment, and constant reminder of how world class the boys are reminds me of why its so hard to get in.

But seriously to fight full on is a big attraction to me.

Now im wondering if thats a tad bit odd?

I wouldn't say so,
at the end of the day,
we are all applying for a job that will see us fighting face to face,
and getting stuck in,
so I'm sure we all want to fight.

New Threads