Increase running distance???

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Alright lads, just a quick question. What would be the best way to increase the distance i can run? i know this is pathetic but i can only run for 6 minutes ( 0.74m ) and i'm battered.

I don't know if this would work so i need to ask ;) So at the moment i can run for say 6 minutes, if i was to time myself each run, and increase the run each time by an extra minute, would this work? i won't even bother measuring distance until later on, is a minute too little or too much? or would it even work? cheers lads

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
From what I understand, the key to improving your CV is how long you keep your heart-rate up for, which should ideally be around 30 minutes at a minimum. I'm sure some of the lads on here will have some better ideas, but if you can only keep going for six minutes, you're running too hard. Set yourself a time (20-30 minutes) then keep moving for that time, even if you have to do it all swapping between a slow jog and walking. From my own experience, and from what I've read, that's the best way to improve your CV. After that, every time it gets too easy for you, run for longer/faster.

I'd also have a look at getting this book, 'Fighting Fit'. It's got a load of different exercise programmes designed to ease you into it, and slowly build you up to a very high level. I've got it, and it's very good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fighting-Fi...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207438797&sr=8-1

Creed

Reaction score
1 : Learn to control your speed and your breathing
2:Make a smoothie out of Apple,Banana and milk
3: push yourself no matter how battered you are
4:Think of something that gets your blood pumping and adrenalin going ( inner strength)

I used to be the same but 1 day i pushed myself soo hard i got dizzy and light headed but i didn't care i kept running until i was sick *text deleted* now i can run much longer then i used to.

ChrisL

Reaction score
Ye i agree wi creed! *text deleted* worry i doubt any1 can run a mile and not feel a little bit nafed! well depends on ya pace! well anyways if *text deleted* completely f*text deleted** and have nowt left afta six minutes well yes you are unfit! but the things you could do is run with a partner to keep you motivated and help you push through the pain! trust it helps! also try to run in different type of wheather! Snow, Hot.....this will help conditioning!

Remember your body will go on foreva and will only give up if your mind lets its

Creed

Reaction score
What's the smoothie for *text deleted*?
Good source for energy good carbs in Milk and fruit

Get that song Burning Heart from the Rocky film *text deleted* good for running like this part

" Tho his body says STOP he spirit cries NEVER!

JasonMc

Reaction score
Try to just drift off mate, think of little things that make you laff thats what i do, sometimes ill be running along and ill be laffin my arse off haha and people think im crazy *text deleted* but it works, also imagine that some really fit lasses are watchin you and your tryin your best to look fit and cool to impress them :P!!

Creed

Reaction score
Try to just drift off mate, think of little things that make you laff thats what i do, sometimes ill be running along and ill be laffin my arse off haha and people think im crazy *text deleted* but it works, also imagine that some really fit lasses are watchin you and your tryin your best to look fit and cool to impress them :P!!
Hmm but perhaps laughing may effect your breathing *text deleted*

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
a few people have asked me to help them with their fitness do i take them out on runs and tell them just to jog alog at a comfortable pase and when they stop i keep them moving for no more than 20 meters and get them jogging again. or i make sure they are still jogging even if its walking pace haveing the jogging style of movement keeps up your heart rate. intervel training is always good, jog 100 meters then walk 50 jog 100 walk 50 etc etc.. for 20 minutes then after a week push it up to 25 then 30.

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers for the responses lads.. the thing is i'm struggling with my run a minute in, i start feeling the burn really early on and it's a push from there on in..

Anyways i'm going to try the method i stated in the first post, because i think that might work for me in my mind.. it's all about trial'n error so i'll see how i get on :)

JasonMc

Reaction score
Hmm but perhaps laughing may effect your breathing *text deleted*
Yipp it does but only slightly *text deleted* i run with my cuzin somtimes and hes a right funny *text deleted**text deleted* *text deleted* and he has me in stiches (not physically) he does the 'ivan drago' sound effects and stuff and has me laffin my arse off *text deleted* anyway it works for me it most probably differs from one individual to the other.

Creed

Reaction score
*text deleted* funny man

Yeah laughing is good for some

I just focus on my music really and keep my head up

proberly not a good idea to laugh if you can't run for long

Always drink a smoothie before you run trust me they help

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Your signature says it all Creed, when ever i listen to that song it gets my adrenaline rushing.

Creed

Reaction score
*text deleted* yea mate it's a good song

So is Burning Heart from the rocky soundtrack

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Running for 6 minutes will not improve the time you can for, but the distance you can travel in that time.
Run slower for a longer time. It will burn yea, your working hard so its meant to, just run through it.

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good source for energy good carbs in Milk and fruit
Banana takes 8 hours to digest, it's not going to give you energy at that point, milk is a slow digester too.. The Apple is good though, you'd be better putting in other fruit.

As for OP, just everytime you go out running, run a bit more. That's what I did a couple of years back when I started, I could do little and every 2 days when I went running I added another section(quite a distance) it's hard obviously but that's the point.

Also your breathing is VERY important, google breathing patterns and try them out, that will help alot if you're not using them.

Good luck.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well don't drink the smoothie when you run especially if you have a tendancy to pour water over you beacuse you might forget it's a smoothie and you'll smell real bad by the time you get home.

Now for the serious part, run really slowly as if you were being chased by a turtle, it'll never catch you however slow you run as long as you don't stop. Basically don't take a watch with you because if you know you can run for 6 minutes then when you run for 6 minutes you'll think it's acceptable to stop so alternate your routes without a watch for the next 2 weeks and don't run a route you know the distance of, if you can run around an estate then run around an estate, if you can run in the woods then run in the woods (I love running in the woods). Just because people look at you doesn't mean you need to speed up to look good, remember you're in it for yourself and you should work at your goals no matter what anyone says or thinks, lets face it they probably don't know what a green beret is let alone whats involved to earn it. Finally listen to music, find your favourite songs and slap them on an MP3.

I'm not sure your method will work to be honest, don't use a watch for 2 weeks and alternate your routes so you don't know how far you're running (but make sure you know your way home atleast).

Good luck,

Ash