Increasing mental strength

Mitch2012

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good morning all, just back from a 6+ miler, and where I live, it has been bucketing of rain all night and is supposed to continue throughout the day. When I was out I had the thought that maybe running in weather like that is good for increasing mental strength? Is this just a stupid thought or am I onto something? Cheers!

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Won't hurt. Well, not unless you slip in the wet. But in the Marines you'll be running in the rain so might as well get used to it. Personally I prefer running in the rain anyway. Keeps you cool and is strangely enjoyable.

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
It does something that betters you as a person mentally. Possibly mental strength or maybe just all-out hardness.

The best running feeling ever is when you've been through a winter of rain/hail/sleet/snow/wind/all these things + running in the dark, and then you go and do the same route about 1:30pm on a sunny day in June, especially if it's somewhere nice. The only problem with summer runs round the woods/beach here is the stream of tourists and dogs.

But yeah, you won't be wrong to run in the rain or any other bad weather, and it makes you look proper tough to all the people sat in front of the TV. :kult:

Mitch2012

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I agree, it is really enjoyable and I actually prefer it!

Cheers for that guys!

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Won't hurt. Well, not unless you slip in the wet. But in the Marines you'll be running in the rain so might as well get used to it. Personally I prefer running in the rain anyway. Keeps you cool and is strangely enjoyable.
agreed i done a 6 miler in the rain on monday. i was running along in shorts and t-shirt & people were looking at me like i was mad!!

i just find you get into the mood alot more in the rain

WelshLad91

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Did hill sprints today and at the bottom of my hill theres a river. Each sprint i was coming back down lying in the river then sprinting up the hill. Must seen about 10 people riding horses they didnt know what to say haha!

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Did hill sprints today and at the bottom of my hill theres a river. Each sprint i was coming back down lying in the river then sprinting up the hill. Must seen about 10 people riding horses they didnt know what to say haha!
AAHAHAHAHAH LOVE IT!! :uglyhammer:

Chris1908

Reaction score
agreed i done a 6 miler in the rain on monday. i was running along in shorts and t-shirt & people were looking at me like i was mad!!

i just find you get into the mood alot more in the rain
Fat rain is better than no rain, but the rain that does my head in, is the thin rain that stops you from being able to see. Still, it stops you getting too hot.

You need to try running in the snow, now that is fun. :smile:

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I was doing some trail running today in the sunshine when I remembered that not too many weeks ago I was running the same route in inches of snow. How things change!

Chris1908

Reaction score
It will probably be back again soon. British weather changes faster than the Lib Dem agenda these days.

Dyss

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Just wanted to post my opinion on this,

Whilst i agree, running in the rain doesnt seem pleasant at first, as people have said, once your soaked and well into your stride it's actually quite enjoyable, so therefore is it really increasing your mental strength?

The place i believe mental strength is really going to pull you through some bad times and episodes in the hurt locker is when your in recruit training. Im not really that far into it, but already I've done some rubbish things (all including mud, puddles, ponds, lakes, rivers, wet clothes and so on) that not really any amount of physical prep and running in wet conditions can prepare you for, YES dunking yourself in a river before running so your soaked is a good idea so your more used to being wet and doing phys, however after an hour your out of those clothes, in a steaming hot shower and then back into your comfy joggers and hoody (i know i certainly was) but at the end of the day, if your going to RT, your on a one way ticket to lying on sentry at half 2 in the morning wearing soaking wet clothes, crawling through puddles in the middle of the night, being fresh out of a lake and staring at your fully packed bergen knowing even though your soaked through you have to set up your bivvy, cook your food, before you can even consider dry clothes, hungry, tired and just busting to go get back into your bag. And no, before you get any crazy ideas, i wouldn't even bother practicing it its so horrible!!

Its only really times like this that actually test the mental strength, I and all the lads in my troop and all the other lads down at Lympstone are fast finding out, and it sounds cringy, they dont call it A State of mind for no reason! Hope this helps! Cheers

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Just wanted to post my opinion on this,

Whilst i agree, running in the rain doesnt seem pleasant at first, as people have said, once your soaked and well into your stride it's actually quite enjoyable, so therefore is it really increasing your mental strength?

The place i believe mental strength is really going to pull you through some bad times and episodes in the hurt locker is when your in recruit training. Im not really that far into it, but already I've done some rubbish things (all including mud, puddles, ponds, lakes, rivers, wet clothes and so on) that not really any amount of physical prep and running in wet conditions can prepare you for, YES dunking yourself in a river before running so your soaked is a good idea so your more used to being wet and doing phys, however after an hour your out of those clothes, in a steaming hot shower and then back into your comfy joggers and hoody (i know i certainly was) but at the end of the day, if your going to RT, your on a one way ticket to lying on sentry at half 2 in the morning wearing soaking wet clothes, crawling through puddles in the middle of the night, being fresh out of a lake and staring at your fully packed bergen knowing even though your soaked through you have to set up your bivvy, cook your food, before you can even consider dry clothes, hungry, tired and just busting to go get back into your bag. And no, before you get any crazy ideas, i wouldn't even bother practicing it its so horrible!!

Its only really times like this that actually test the mental strength, I and all the lads in my troop and all the other lads down at Lympstone are fast finding out, and it sounds cringy, they dont call it A State of mind for no reason! Hope this helps! Cheers
HAVE SOME OF THAT LADS!!

:applaus: well said.

GingerjoeRM

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I prefer running at night when it's raining. But frankly weather doesn't really bother me, if I'm going to run that day, I'm going to run! If it's starting soaking it down halfway through..more of an incentive to run quicker. No point walking in the rain haha..

Recently did a 3miler, 10mile cycle then a 4mile run back, and the weather was dire and against wind..wasn't that enjoyable :toung:

S

stokey_14

I believe mental strength comes with time and by regularly putting your self in uncomfortable situations / enduring hardships, some are more capable and have more potential to endure said hardships but I think we can all improve over time.

Weather in the UK isn?t so bad? maybe a little rain is good for the mental state, certainly wont do you any harm but I believe placing your self in un-known territory would be a much better way to improve mental strength.

This could come in the shape of running your first race, stepping into the ring/cage or setting your self a challenge like climbing a mountain, sky diving etc All these things will take you out of your comfort zone and test your metal

Stokey

Dyss

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I believe mental strength comes with time and by regularly putting your self in uncomfortable

This could come in the shape of running your first race, stepping into the ring/cage or setting your self a challenge like climbing a mountain, sky diving etc All these things will take you out of your comfort zone and test your metal

Stokey
^ Notice the two words I've highlighted, well said stokey!

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Good morning all, just back from a 6+ miler, and where I live, it has been bucketing of rain all night and is supposed to continue throughout the day. When I was out I had the thought that maybe running in weather like that is good for increasing mental strength? Is this just a stupid thought or am I onto something? Cheers!
Logically, common sense always prevails. i.e. running in the snow & ice may cause you to slip & get injured, running in the rain may take away your alertness when running across roads etc.

Like I said, that's the common sense approach. I suppose it could make me sound hypocritical as, when preparing to join the Corps and after, my approach was: "Rain Hail, Snow or Blow, nothing stops my fizz, and here I go."

Personally, I just found that the mental strength just clicks into place, at some point.

S.P.