Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Increasing my chances of becoming an officer

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Jim1298, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Jim1298

Jim1298 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    As the title suggests, I'm wondering what I could do to try to increase my chances of becoming an officer in the RM after uni.
    I'm thinking about joining the UOTC depending on which uni I go to (they don't all have one!) but I'm unsure about what else I could do to increase my chances

Thanks in advance

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Welcome. Hopefully others will chip in with their own suggestions but here's my three pence for what it's worth.

Step outside your comfort zone and expose yourself to new experiences. UOTC sometimes gets mocked but it's a good start so don't be dissuaded by the opinions of others. Dive in and make up your own mind. Best of luck.

3. The guide

The guide Royal Marines Commando

Have a think about the physical aspect as well while at or before uni.! The Corps can choose on the officer front as this is one area they do not have recruiting issues as only one batch (intake) per year. Look at maybe setting "SMART" objectives for you phys side of things , dont be Mr Joe Average...i go to the gym and do circuits.!. Try things like planning and maybe leading a physical trip...Climbing , Trekking a expedition , or even try breaking into a higher level of sports you currently participate in , i,e County and so on if possible. If not you bag , things like running marathons or enter some Iron man..you get the idea.

4. boarder34

boarder34 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    As someone who is about to finish university, as @Chelonian + @The guide mentioned - Get stuck in. UOTC is good and I slightly regret not doing it.

I would also recommend joining a bunch of other clubs that interest you and attempting to get on a clubs committee. This has given me invaluable leadership experience and taught me huge amounts on how to handle people, how to effectively public speak, organisational skills etc.

Uni is great fun - drinking, going out, GIRLS! However, don't let that sidetrack you from your end goal of the green lid. It certainly did me, I've had to get my fitness back on track this year and it's been hard. I very much regret not keeping up the peak level of fitness I had when I first came to uni.

Oh and eat healthily.