increasing press ups and sit ups

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i currently do gainers I am currently on 12-12-12 for press ups and 21-21-21 for sit ups. I do them 5 days a week with Tuesdays and Fridays off. I repeat the exercise thoughtful the day so that I will have done (about) 200 press ups and 300 sit ups. The next day I add an extra rep onto each set so tomorrow will be 13-13-13 etc. But the question I have is am I doing enough per day? Is 200 press ups and 300 sit ups ok? Or should I be repeating the exercise of 3 sets more times throughout the day. To get these figures I repeat the press ups 6 times and the sit ups 6 but should I repeat them more?

Also I accidentlallly posted this on the "intro" forum *text deleted* I'm new and don't quite know how to work this site

DBenn01

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
How are things, Welcome!!

It's certainly good that you are doing multiple times per day. Enough or too much, however, im not the one who could tell you. But fair play.

How are your pull ups? I'd advise doing it all to the bleep as much as possible.

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
How are things, Welcome!!

It's certainly good that you are doing multiple times per day. Enough or too much, however, I'm not the one who could tell you. But fair play.

How are your pull ups? I'd advise doing it all to the bleep as much as possible.

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi things are great thanks,
My pull ups are on about 3 but I'm doing bicep and back work in the gym to improve them

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
See that was all meant to post that reply as one but it came out as two it's *text deleted* take a while to get a hang of this site

DBenn01

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Not to worry you will get it ;)

Pull ups are hard in fairness. There is a brilliant video on YouTube I saw about progressing to pullups and press ups, ill PM you with them later and probably post about it in the training section.

borneboy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
what are your push ups and sit ups score to the beep?

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My push ups to a bleep are 22 and my sit ups are 40. Still a long way to go I know-nailbiting-

DBenn01

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
@MillwallAlex Hope all is well.

Sorry its taken so long to share this with you! Work is crazy.

So as ive said these videos are about doing progressive bodyweight exercises in order to be able to comfortably do Press Ups, Pull Ups and Dips. He also goes through the peogression system and how to add more/less resistance to the exercises with different grips and the like. He has videos about other exercises too so have yourself a browse. You hear it a lot on the forum that if you want to be good at press ups, do press ups, and dont stop doing them, the same for pull ups and sit ups, and its absolutely right. If you have trouble doing it, just keep at it. The exercises in the videos are helpers.

Ignoring all of the flash, hip music and branding, the info in these videos is top notch.

I want to just add - If you dont have the equipment, IMPROVISE, as opposed to leaving it till you do have it and doing nothing.

As promised, albeit nearly a month late :)

Press Ups and Dips;

Pull Ups;

Hopefully you find something of use. Youll notice that he does the press ups and pull ups to the required form of the RMFA.

pofwales24

Reaction score
Hi things are great thanks,
My pull ups are on about 3 but I'm doing bicep and back work in the gym to improve them
Honestly, speaking from personal experience I'd leave out the weights in the gym. The best way to get better at a pull-ups is to do pull-ups. Buy a pull-up bar from argos (one of the ones which hooks around the upper door frame) and then bang them out throughout the day, it will be infinitely more helpful for increasing your pull-ups.