Independantly close each eye

danbo

Reaction score
Independently close each eye

I was reading the medical requirements post in the stickies section and part of it says
Annual Personal Weapon Test

It is a mandate that all personnel deploying to an operational theatre must have passed the Annual Personal Weapon Test (APWT). To fire an SA80 rifle effectively the user must be able to independently close the LEFT eye. As part of the Entry Medical FEMO’s are to test for the ability to close the LEFT eye independently. Those unable to do so are unfit for entry.
Is this test carried out on everyone including those who are going to apply to join?

I cannot independently close my left eye but I can close my right eye. What are common reasons for this and can it be treated?

I don't want to be turned down for the Royal Marines just because I cannot close my left eye independently.

mrdanie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hm, did read somewhere that this is a case with a small percent of people who can only close one eye independantly of the other, but maybe it is a psychological thing, there may be a way to train yourself, perhaps closing both eyes and then trying to open the right eye keeping the left closed?
Did have a quick look on google but haven't found a great deal about it yet.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
it is literally just a matter of teaching your brain to develop the neurological connections (i studied psych/neuroscience at uni for a while) everyone can do it it's a matter of learning how to do it. try blinking and thinking consciously of what muscles are being used in one of your eyes, then try using the same muscles to close just that eye, it will take time but you can physically do it

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The test is usually carried out at your AFCO medical examination.

Those that cannot close their left eye independantly are classed as Temporarily Medically Unfit (TMU) until they can manage it unaided. So far everyone that I've come across, placed TMU for this reason, has managed to later pass the test after a couple of weeks practice.

danbo

Reaction score
The test is usually carried out at your AFCO medical examination.

Those that cannot close their left eye independantly are classed as Temporarily Medically Unfit (TMU) until they can manage it unaided. So far everyone that I've come across, placed TMU for this reason, has managed to later pass the test after a couple of weeks practice.
Can you suggest any more ways of training my left eye to make it stronger?

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
try having both eyes closed, open left eye then right eye close both then repeat in reverse order

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If all else fails, just get someone to prod you in the port eyeball.

M

MTW

its is a pretty important thing obviously for shooting, but yea shouldnt take long to teach yourself to do it i wouldnt have thought.

danbo

Reaction score
its is a pretty important thing obviously for shooting, but yea shouldnt take long to teach yourself to do it i wouldnt have thought.
Yes, if I was to use my right eye to aim the gun I would have to hold it on the left side of my body. I don't fancy having hot bullet casings burning my face everytime I fire the gun. *text deleted*.