Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Ingrown Toenail

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by GriZZ, Jul 26, 2019.

1. GriZZ

GriZZ New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Just wondering if an infected ingrown toenail could make me TMU at Medical?It’s in a pretty bad state and I’m in a 15 week waiting list to get it seen to. I’ve tried everything from saltwater baths to using creams though nothing seems to stop it.

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Eeew! :eek:
    Initially I assumed that a GP surgery minor surgery clinic could fix this but apparently ingrown toenails are no longer on the list of approved procedures.

I'd suggest that you consider contacting a registered podiatrist, getting a quote first and then paying privately to get it fixed. I've no idea about cost but I assume that it will be much cheaper than other surgical procedures such as, say, a lung transplant.

@Johnny_Anonie might comment if he spots this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  3. boogey96

boogey96 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Had one done privately about £150 is the going price if I remember correct. Also had one done through NHS and wait was only about 4 weeks.

Pretty sure I had one at my medical and wasn’t an issue, depends on severity I guess.

4. GriZZ

GriZZ New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Figured I’d have to get it done privately, can’t go for a run without it causing me problems. Cheers guys

• Seen Seen x 1
  5. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

It’s ok us medics are all too familiar with horrible rotten feet. I’m sure it’ll all come out one day when I need a therapist!

Right listen in. You need to soak your disgusting foot in warm water 3 to 4 times a day for at least 7 days – this will soften the skin around your toe and stops the nail growing any further. Then fork out for a podiatrist. They will most likely cut away the infected nail and offer advice. If you or they suspect it’s morphed into a fungal nail infection go see your GP as you may need some meds.

NEXT!!

• Like Like x 6
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    My lad had two ingrown toenails. Went to a private clinic so it wasn’t on his med records. Had bits of both his big toe nails removed. No issues at medical and now serving. Easy, just a bit pricey!

• Like Like x 2
  7. The guide

The guide Royal Marines Commando

And as a follow on..Yes it could if you dont follow the above advice from @Johnny_Anonie , TMU on the basis you can not start training like that , as you would be sick listed straight away..advice given to all those that join either HMS Raliegh or CTCRM

DO NOT JOIN WITH A INJURY OR ILLNESS -

Tell your AFCO and delay entry until all ok if needed , your application will simply be put on hold.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GriZZ

GriZZ New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Currently trying to get myself to a podiatrist and managed to get my hands on some antibiotics to hopefully kill the infection.

I haven’t actually applied yet, it was just for future reference in case it became a problem further down the line.

9. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Assuming that the meds were prescribed to you and not borrowed from an aged relative you're good to go. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GriZZ

GriZZ New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    From the doctor’s! Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Good man! You'd be surprised how often meds (often years out of date) are donated. :eek:

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  12. GriZZ

GriZZ New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Doesn’t surprise me at all, you can get your hands on anything these days.

13. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Really?

You couldn’t square me away with some winning lottery numbers could you?

• Hoofin Hoofin x 4
  14. Faugery

Faugery Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Coconut oil is fab at clearing fungal attacks up if you are into alternative meds.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GriZZ

GriZZ New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Fake one’s, maybe.

I didn’t know that, I’ll give that a try.

16. Faugery

Faugery Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Natures best anti fungal treatment! Used it on my own toes and on animals on my farm with great results.

• Like Like x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  17. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

I have some pretty bad issues you could help me with!