Initial Training

Roy Brown

Reaction score
Hi guys i am 15 years old and as you might expect have a lot of questions to ask about joining the Royal Marines. First off i have been on the official Royal Marines site a number of times and it emphasizes the need to do runs up to around 45 mins as well as bike rides and swims. I`m not silly enough to go out and attempt to sprint for 45 mins straight away as i'm sure my maximum running level would possibly be about 5 mins non stop at the moment. So my question should i do around 5 mins running each day for a few weeks and then go on to 10, 15 mins etc?

Zefan

Reaction score
Most people can run for 25 minutes or more, they just don't pace themselves properly. Try going very slowly, as in as slow as you can job without it being a walk! If you still can't do that for 30 minutes then just go for as long as you can. You'll see progression pretty quickly at the beginning of your training.

I'm sure you know this, but your age is something you'll have to take in to account when training. Your metabolism is almost certainly sky high, you'll have to make sure you're eating enough to maintain your bodyweight whilst doing cardiovascular training.