Injured my Arm at Work

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by DBenn01, Nov 16, 2016.

1. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    How is everyone, hopefully all is well!

Just back from half a days landscaping work after doing something to my right arms elbow joint/bicep tendon, nothing extreme, nothing hospital worthy thankfully, just pain in that area and the brachialis and pronator teres.

The nature of the work is heavy lifting, carrying loads of soil, rocks and bricks up hills in wheel barrows, digging, etc. etc. (You can see why it appeals to me, it'll help me train). I can still work and keep going but I was sent home for fear I worsen it. Not too impressed with myself to be honest, don't want to stop.

Anyway, I am wondering, has anyone got any good stretching exercises or advice so I can get back in asap? Thanks so much in advance.

2. CSVern

CSVern Active Member

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, just someone who's had my fair share of injuries.

If it's not a bad injury and just tweaking when you use it, it could just be mild tendonitis in the elbow. Would make sense if you're carrying heavy loads.
    Stretching won't help that, you just have to rest it properly until it heals. It's one of those things that doesn't seem major but if not taken care of properly can lead to something worse/permanent.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thank you so much for that, they said the same thing to me. I really didn't want to go home but they didn't want me to make it worse. Its easing up now, but ill see how it is tomorrow.

4. john lewis

john lewis Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Stretching will help tendinitis! Rest it to start with and do light stretching of the forearm and biceps then when the inflammation has gone single arm exercises will help to strengthen the tendon

5. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for that! I'll be sure to do that

6. old-lynx-mech

old-lynx-mech Active Member

Maybe ice it if there is bruising or swelling

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  7. john lewis

john lewis Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Icing is essential

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  8. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hmmm there was some bit of bruising yesterday but its cleared up now

9. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

Hopefully the inflammation will quickly subside and you can then crack on as before. But if you can, give the injury a bit of time to heal itself supported by ice therapy.

10. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

Aye the good old school RICE, Rest Ice Compression Elevation. Its changed and keeps changing these days.
    Just a point to add swell, try and wait 24hrs before smashing and brufen if you need to, the body has its natural way of dealing with swelling. burden should be used after the body has had a chance to do its thing. Well thats what I got told anyway by an MA, maybe he was getting me on a bite because he didn't want to do any paperwork...

11. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for that, its been at me today but not as much, I think what you are saying @ThreadpigeonsAlpha makes sense because the swelling and bruising went, and the pain has been minimal today, but I will still put ice on it, want to kick this thing fast because I had the same before on my other arm, worse, and it had me off training or moving around for nearly two weeks. Injury during training.

Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1