Injuries caused by Sleep loss

Corona

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had an idea of how much bearing lack of sleep has on injuries, as I am struggling to pin down a reason for having a number of injuries that just coming back and other than my job, the only other thing I can think of is sleep where I struggle to get more than 5-6 hrs per night. Could this be a reason or am I just overthinking? I did mean to ask my physio but the connection on the 'virtual appointment' was so terrible I don't think I heard a thing.

Thanks all

Chelonian

Reaction score
...I was wondering if anyone had an idea of how much bearing lack of sleep has on injuries, as I am struggling to pin down a reason for having a number of injuries that just coming back...
It could be a factor but overtraining and/or insufficient rest should also be considered.

anon1234

Reaction score
Injuries would typically be accumulation of stresses, overload, poor technique, or some kind of mobility/stability issue and so on.

One hypothesis may be that poor sleep is causing poor and fatigued movement...when you repeat that every training session...injury/pain results?

But would need to see exactly what your training is like to determine the cause(s).

Either way addressing your sleep will benefit your health and maybe your injury.

Johnwayne

Reaction score
@Corona are you a greenkeeper by any chance mate?:D
I’m on a similar schedule to that averaging 4.5 hours a night most nights.
Keep in mind that sleep and recovery go hand in hand and if your body isn’t recovering fully you might pick up some niggles that a well rested/recovered person will miss. Also, are you taking in enough of the right foods to provide your vessel with calories to fix itself?

Keep on top of stretching, eat well and prioritise sleep.

This is an example of bad recovery and a strenuous workload. On days like this I feel my body begging for rest and everything seems to hurt a bit more than usual. Sleep definitely plays a role.

Doctors orders - SLEEP!

Attachments

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
To be honest mate I'd day 5-6 hours a night isn't in the "sleep deprivation" ball park. I'd have a look further into other possible factors such as over training, are you stretching/foam rolling?

Corona

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the help all, perhaps its the overuse aspect as rolling patients seems to have done my shoulder. @Johnwayne what app is that? Certainly looks interesting.

To be honest mate I'd day 5-6 hours a night isn't in the "sleep deprivation" ball park. I'd have a look further into other possible factors such as over training, are you stretching/foam rolling?
Have been stretching and foam rolling every night for the past few months as part of the physio. Foam rolling definitely helped and hopefully the stretching will as well.

@Corona are you a greenkeeper by any chance mate?:D
I’m on a similar schedule to that averaging 4.5 hours a night most nights.
Keep in mind that sleep and recovery go hand in hand and if your body isn’t recovering fully you might pick up some niggles that a well rested/recovered person will miss. Also, are you taking in enough of the right foods to provide your vessel with calories to fix itself?

Keep on top of stretching, eat well and prioritise sleep.

This is an example of bad recovery and a strenuous workload. On days like this I feel my body begging for rest and everything seems to hurt a bit more than usual. Sleep definitely plays a role.

Doctors orders - SLEEP!
Unfortunately I haven't been able to take in much food at all so perhaps that could be an issue.

Johnwayne

Reaction score
@Corona it’s a Whoop strap. Very cool piece of tech that provides solid data on Recovery, sleep cycles, strain rates for loads of activities etc. You can check it out on whoop.com

Regarding the food, you need to get more calories in mate. Preferably whole foods. If time to prep food is an issue, there are plenty of companies that deliver pre-made meals that are really tasty and take all the effort out as well. It also has the added benefit of giving you exact calories and macro nutrients.
It’s worth tracking calories just for the sake of it. Make sure your intake and output balance out.

Collieryboy

Reaction score
Its much much more important than people realise. I've seen scientific studies and your chance of injury is massively increased with lack of sleep. The mechanism is less understood though. The lack of sleep itself doesn't cause it.