Injuries when running!

jczopczyc123

Reaction score
I went for a 6 mile run last night round my village and i have found after about a mile or so my right calf will tighten up and then a while later my left one will aswell, just wondering if this happens to anyone else!!

Also this morning the right side of my knee is killing and sometimes hurts when im running!! Has this happened to anyone else??

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Advice

With regards to your first problem, I suspect you are not warming up, or not properly, ignore this if you are;

You need to make sure that you do a good 10 mins of gentle exercise followed by stretches.
Just very gently and slowly jog around for about 1.5 minutes, then gently raise your knees while jogging for about 30 secs then gently bring your heels to your arse for about 30 secs, then try high skipping for about 30 secs (yes girly skippng, not rope skipping) break back into a really gentle jog, do some side stepping in each direction for about 20 secs each way.

Now that you are a bit warmer and your leg muscles should be too, start some gentle stretches, holding for about 15 seconds each time. You want to pay particular attention to the muscles you have problems with, but on these muscles DONT PUSH OR STRETCH TOO FAR.

This is only a very simple warm up but should help a great deal.

With regards to your knee problem, it just so happens a very similar thing happened to me last friday and there still a niggling pain there which is telling me its not a good idea to run on it.
It feels like a trapped nerve. I have no idea what it really is and if it doesnt go away very soon Im *text deleted* see a doctor.

I did it during my Military Fitness class, (www.britmilfit.com) I was in combat boots but its never been a problem before, then later than night I went for a 4 miler in trainers and thats when it really hurt and I had to stop and limp back home, it was worse going up or down hill.

Hope this helps and you didn't get bored half way through!

jczopczyc123

Reaction score
With regards to your first problem, I suspect you are not warming up, or not properly, ignore this if you are;

You need to make sure that you do a good 10 mins of gentle exercise followed by stretches.
Just very gently and slowly jog around for about 1.5 minutes, then gently raise your knees while jogging for about 30 secs then gently bring your heels to your arse for about 30 secs, then try high skipping for about 30 secs (yes girly skippng, not rope skipping) break back into a really gentle jog, do some side stepping in each direction for about 20 secs each way.

Now that you are a bit warmer and your leg muscles should be too, start some gentle stretches, holding for about 15 seconds each time. You want to pay particular attention to the muscles you have problems with, but on these muscles DONT PUSH OR STRETCH TOO FAR.

This is only a very simple warm up but should help a great deal.

With regards to your knee problem, it just so happens a very similar thing happened to me last friday and there still a niggling pain there which is telling me its not a good idea to run on it.
It feels like a trapped nerve. I have no idea what it really is and if it doesnt go away very soon Im *text deleted* see a doctor.

I did it during my Military Fitness class, (www.britmilfit.com) I was in combat boots but its never been a problem before, then later than night I went for a 4 miler in trainers and thats when it really hurt and I had to stop and limp back home, it was worse going up or down hill.

Hope this helps and you didn't get bored half way through!
haha no mate dint get bored it was very helpful! your defo right about my calves *text deleted* i dint warm up yesterday i just went straight into running!! but my knee just seems to hurt next day and seems to go away after a while!! it isnt has serious as yours but still *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted*ly pains! thanks for help bud!

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My calfs also hurt alot, Matt B would you give us your warm-up routine please? :)

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I feel paralyzed today *text deleted* cant move my legs or my shoulders proper beasted my self yesturday, should i still go for a run?

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Go for a run?

They prob hurt so bad *text deleted* you didnt warm down. Best advice would be to get urself out do a nice long gentle warm up and then see how your muscles feel, if they still feel crap, then just go for a super slow jog for about 30 - 45 mins. It isnt *text deleted* do loads for you but at least it keeps your heart rate above normal for a while which is still productive and better than sitting on the sofa having a pot noodle and a w*nk!

I will post my warm up, may take a while though as really I should be doing some work at work!

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
My warm up

There is a half size (200m) running track at my local school, so use that for my warm up.

Start to jog very gently almost at walking pace.
After 2 mins start rotating arms (still jogging), forwards for 30 seconds, then backwards 30 secs.
Now still jogging bring your knees up slightly higher than feels normal, concentrate on lots of steps over a short distance.
After about 45 secs, bring them higher to about 45 degrees (thighs horizontal to the ground) do this for a further 30 seconds.
Break back into a gentle jog.
Put both open hands behind you, knuckles to your arse and bring your heels up to the back as you jog so that they touch your palms. do this for around 30 secs. again concentrate on more steps over a short distance.
break back into a gentle jog.
Now your legs should be warmer.
Start to skip jumping high into the air and swing your front arm above your head each time. (I make sure no-ones watching!) after 45 secs break back into a jog.
Turn to one side and side skip, again into the air and swing your arms across your body and up into the air, after 20 secs, change sides for another 20 secs.
Back into a gentle jog.
Slow your jog right down to a walk and then shake off your arms and legs.
Stand with your feet about 1.5 shoulder widths apart and gently bend them while you do some arm, shoulder and side stretches (intercostal muscles between your ribs)
Standing in this squat position while doing these stretches keeps your legs warm.
Slowly stand up, shake your legs off and then do some good leg stretches, concentrating on muscles you often have problems with or that still feel tight.
Dont overstretch!
Now im good to go!
Taylor your warm up to your needs and fitness levels.

Now my fingers are ready for a little nap!