Injury Prevention - ITBS

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by AdmiralAwesome, Feb 22, 2014.

1. AdmiralAwesome

AdmiralAwesome Active Member

How to Prevent IT Band Syndrome
    The following tips may help you prevent chronic IT band syndrome:

If you are a runner, first review the Checklist for Running Overuse Injuries

IT Band - Strengthening Exercises
    Strengthening the external hip rotators may also help reduce the risk of IT Band injuries. One simple way to do this is with the one-leg squat exercise. Perform these in front of a mirror and make sure your pelvis does not drop on one side during the reps.
    IT Band - Stretching Exercises
    Stretching the IT band may help prevent irritation from IT band tightness.
    IT Band Friction Syndrome doesn't have to be a chronic, debilitating problem. A little bit of prevention and careful diagnosis of the cause can lead to a complete and full recovery.

2. Fraserg456

Fraserg456 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Is there any form of cardio that wouldn't slow down my recovery?
    I'm struggling to sit about doing nothing but upper body

3. Sendit

Sendit Member

Swimming?

4. Xerath

Xerath Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Punch bag work, that arm bike machine might work too. Not sure of it's correct name

5. old-lynx-mech

old-lynx-mech Active Member

6. old-lynx-mech

old-lynx-mech Active Member

7. Wingzero

Wingzero Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Sounds like a nasty long winded injury. right up there with Osteitis pubis/sports hernias and abductor tendinosis/tendinopathy.

@Fraserg456 don't kow what your pain symptoms/what aggravates your injury but the erg (rowing) machine may be a good substitute.

8. aliB

aliB Member

Currently have this diagnosed by phsyio left knee sore after certain milage hopefully won't be too long winded

9. MikeD247

MikeD247 Member

Had the problem for a year and have been clear of ITBS for 3 years now. Rest and recover. Cross train, use the foam roller every day and strengthen the hips! Also, stretch the hamstrings, glutes

10. aliB

aliB Member

Ive read that foam rolling isnt what you should use its not a stretchy type band

11. Fraserg456

Fraserg456 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I had itbs and after 2 massages and foam rolling it went away, took me like 2 weeks. Would 100% foam roll again

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  12. aliB

aliB Member

Ive done a few gym session and that included a fair bit of rolling not gone so far but ill do it again thanks guys

13. Fraserg456

Fraserg456 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    role slowly from your hips to your knee focusing on the bit just above the knee.
    I also found getting some baby oil and rubbing/massaging it helps

14. MikeD247

MikeD247 Member

Don't roll too quick especially on the knots which are more painful. Focus on hip strengthening exercises such as the clam shells. ITB syndrome more so than often is due to lack of hip strength.

15. aliB

aliB Member

I bought some resistance tape. Dont want it to last for ages really dont want it to get to april and have to retake pjft. Phsyio said due to weak bum

16. Fraserg456

Fraserg456 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    That's what I was told too mate

17. aliB

aliB Member

Just done 3.6 miles unsure on time most of it was forefoot running which really helps kicked in about 3.4 with the slight pain not sure if i should run again monday and go longer or not. Can reall feel where the irritated part in my leg is bottom of hip top of leg hopefully foam rolling will make short work of this. Because frankly i was meant to be on my prmc the 30th June when i was struck with petella fermeral syndrome got that fixed and straight away i contracted this!

18. aliB

aliB Member

Finally clear of this!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Commando24.

Commando24. Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    How long does ITBS take to heal and how do you know when you can run again?

20. NikNak32

NikNak32 Member

Anyone that has suffered from it will be able to give you a better idea but on average up to 6 weeks. Depends how well you're treating it I suppose.

I've never really had to deal with ITBs so it's not my strong topic.

This abstract sums it up pretty well:

"What it is:
    Iliotibial band syndrome (ITBS) is the most common cause of lateral knee pain in runners. It is an overuse injury that results from repetitive friction of the iliotibial band (ITB) over the lateral femoral epicondyle.

What causes it:
    Training factors related to this injury include excessive running in the same direction on a track, greater weekly mileage, downhill running and weakness or inhibition of the lateral gluteal muscles. When these muscles do not fire properly, there is a decreased ability to stabilise the pelvis and eccentrically control femoral abduction (letting your leg swing out). As a result, other muscles must compensate, often leading to excessive tightness and restrictions.

Treatment:
    Initial treatment should focus on activity modification, therapeutic modalities to decrease inflammation, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication, and in severe cases, a corticosteroid injection. Stretching exercises can be started once inflammation is under control. Strengthening exercises should emphasise eccentric muscle contractions, triplanar motions and integrated movement patterns.

With this comprehensive treatment approach, most patients will fully recover by 6 weeks.

Studies have shown that faster-paced running is less likely to aggravate ITBS and faster strides are initially recommended over a slower jogging pace. Over time, gradual increases in distance and frequency are permitted. In the rare refractory case, surgery may be required."

Hope it helps!

• Like Like x 1