Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Injury Prevention - ITBS

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by AdmiralAwesome, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Had itb for 7 months now. Tried a lot i mean a lot of reccomendations...yes it came back the first was phsyio massage and simple lifting leg exercises. They were rubbish. Foam rolling seemed to irritate it more but i do it sonetimes. The main stretch is the standing crossed leg and lean thats briliant. Second i tried rest and stretch no luck then pistol squats. No luck. Currently on the gym on every leg machine possible. Leg extension the squat machine the leg abduction this one were you lift one leg up with weights. One day on one day off 10 reps 5 sets nice and slow. Going to do this for 3 weeks with no running but a nice bike cooldown too at the end. So far so good had 2 days off after my 3rd session then after 3 weeks ill do one 3 miler a week then a set of hill sprints another day and one gym day workout a week and so forth

2. Commando24.

Commando24. Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    So how did it heal in the end? Just strengthening and stretching and foam rolling?

3. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Still have it buddy. Foam rolling helps remove wheb it throbs from tightness but *text deleted* its all kinda failed me and it bums me out. Doing a couple weeks solid gym leg machines 10 reps 5 sets did a week now in on 18 reps 5 sets hipefully itll strengthen my bum and hips up to run

4. "Crikey mate"

"Crikey mate" Member

*text deleted* look at the cause of the problem to fix it.

Quite unlikely most of you have ITBS, more likely you have ITBFS - IT Band Friction Syndrome. The ITB is swelling and when its at its weakest point (outside of knee cap) its overly enlarged from this swelling so is causing friction when used, which is the pain you feel.

For me this comes from my TFL (Tensor Fascia Lata) which is a small muscle towards the top of the ITB and the hip. Photo - http://bestpractice.bmj.com/best-pr...com/best-practice/images/bp/587-2_default.jpg

Over use of the TFL tightens the ITB as theyre attached which is what causes the swelling/pain. You most likely have a muscle imbalance causing this, well I do at least.
    For me it happens because my glutes struggle to fire (almost inactive muscles) and to compensate my body uses the TFL as it does a similar job. Fine in the short term but over longer time it puts too much strain on the ITB and you'll start to develop ITBFS.

Roll the TFL not the ITB, this should release a huge amount of tension in the ITB.

If nothing is working for you try below, is what has worked for me:

- x4 sets of 60seconds rolling TFL, push as hard as you can, so painful it makes me dizzy. twice a day for 4-6 weeks
    -Avoid any impact exercsies (no running, cycling or walking, avoid these at all costs)
    -Swim and use a crosstrainer for your cardio
    -Work on strengthening the glutes - kettlebell deadlifts, bridges, and something called Clams (look em up)
    -Stretch out your hamstrings lots too"

Worth a shot lads

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Whats the tfl sorry

6. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Nevermind and ill give it a go

7. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

When i start this foam rolling what did you notice and when when i foam roll i feel sore for a while I'm guessing this will happen and i dont have it bad anymore sometimes i feel a kind of ache along the itb band when i press on the itb band on my effected leg its sore but on my fine leg it doesnt

8. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Last thing exercise alongside the foam rolling period? What you suggested i mean

9. "Crikey mate"

"Crikey mate" Member

[​IMG]

TFL is a tiny little band of muscle towards the front of the hip, get on a roller and just move back and forwards over it slightly, go for small rolls not big long ones, you''ll soon find it - hurts so bad you'll probably start to get dizzy, feels great at the same time though

Just youtube it if you can't get it -

Yeh my ITB gets super sore and more aggravated if i roll over it directly
    when just rolling my TFL it tightens the ITB up initially so itll be a bit more tender but releases a lot of tension after a bit of time (20+ minutes after rolling)

Yeh i roll before and after every time i exercise, aim for twice a day, i find it especially good to roll before and after sleeping too

hope this helps mate

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Ill give it a go thank you

11. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Its like underneath the tfl thats sore

12. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Started doing this foam rolling and where it hurt to touch is now a lot sorer i mean is this what happened to you?

13. "Crikey mate"

"Crikey mate" Member

If its really painful and rolling only makes it worse man then Id maybe avoid the rolling, but its all up to you , end of the day you know your body better than anyone else.

Sounds quite different than my pain from what youre saying, you tried going to see a few physios and comparing views?

Took me ages to find one that actually knew what they were on about, id recommend seeing him but hes here in Australia ;)

If I was you i'd research the symptoms as much as possible and see what you could find out, then go chat with a few different physios until someone can fix it, best to make sures its 100% sorted before getting down to CTC

14. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Unfortunately I have had this injury since February, I am doing lots of strengthening of the hips and flutes but it doesn't appear to be working, I may need orthotics but these are a bar to entry, does anyone have any experience with this injury and how to fix it, thank you :)

15. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    *glutes

16. BoxSwallow

BoxSwallow Active Member

There are a lot of suggestions on this thread especially post one ;) on ways to help fix it have a read through and as @NikNak32 says it should take on average 6 weeks to heal but @aliB has suffered with it from quite some time. I don't know if he's got it sorted or not. Possibly try some stretching to "open up the hips" and stretching the IT band. These are some good ones:

http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/the-2-day-itb-cure-for-endurance-athletes
    http://www.knee-pain-explained.com/iliotibial-band-stretches.html
    http://www.yogabody.com/yoga-poses-for-tight-hips/

17. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Anecdotally, ITBS can be a tough condition to fix. A friend's son left RM Recruit Training a couple of months ago after prolonged spells in Hunter with ITB problems. He could have remained, receiving therapy while being paid but instead opted to leave so that he could recover 'outside'.
    Needless to say, he regretted the decision to leave as soon as he got onto the train.

18. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for the advice guys :)
    I am continuing to run a little bit, I am mainly using the cross trainer and swimming for cardio, I have designed a little circuit to use in the gym of wall sits, side planks, step ups, box squats, single leg deadlifts, donkey kicks, fire hydrants and hamstring curls to try and improve lower limb stability. I find single leg squats are good for stability but I try not to do too many as I don't want to overload the quads tendons and feet

19. ale623

ale623 New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I had this. Bought a skipping rope and did that for cardio while I was recovering and having physiotherapy sessions. Just be patient, keep doing those circuits to strengthen your legs and more importantly don't stop doing them once you recover.

20. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Havent felt it in a while i do get occasional throbs i found foam rolling top of the hip good. Havent tried a strenous run yet hesitant to do one *text deleted*