Injury Resiliency (for the older lads)

HoldFoldEm

Reaction score
Hello all,

Wanted to query with the older (above-average aged) lads in or applying to join the Royal Marines, what are your tips regarding injury resiliency? I'm coming off Jumper's knee through a lot of mobility and flexibility training and seeing quite an improvement relative to where I started.

I've come to the conclusion it's mostly how flexible you are and how healthy you eat.

Thank you!

Johnwayne

Reaction score
Hi mate,

Flexibility and mobility is key. It’s all well and good having stretchy muscles, but it is just as important to make sure your joint are fully mobile. The larger range of motion you have in your joints, the smaller the risk of injury. But those two go hand in hand.

HoldFoldEm

Reaction score
Hi mate,

Flexibility and mobility is key. It’s all well and good having stretchy muscles, but it is just as important to make sure your joint are fully mobile. The larger range of motion you have in your joints, the smaller the risk of injury. But those two go hand in hand.

Hello mate,

Indeed I should have included that, I usually do 5 days a week of mobility and flexibility with 3 days of full-body training aiming at balancing out any issues I'm finding (e.g Left hamstring tighter than right, Right ankle tighter / less mobility than left etc etc..)

Langa please?

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like your doing the right thing! I had a niggle plagued early-mid 20s, mostly because I completely neglected flexibility and mobility.

Thorough warm up and cool down/stretch for any sessions are vital and then working in flexibility routines along with hip mobility sessions help so much.

Currently I will do a 20-30 min full body stretch every night, hip mobility once a week, hamstring mobility once a week (both areas I previously struggled with), 10 minutes foam rolling on tight target areas throughout the day and thorough targeted stretches after any workout on muscles used.

Using all of the above I have had absolutely zero issues since I started upping my training programme again. I use a YouTube channel 'Tom Merrick' for the majority of my routines and find them really beneficial. Also worth making sure you are stretching 'properly' on anything you do, as with any workout theres proper and improper technique.

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Stretching, foam rolling and mobility work are the usual ones.

There's also a lot of sports-science research now that indicates the correlation between strength training and injury prevention too. Compound strength training doesn't just build muscle; it strengthens tendons and increases bone density.

Note that the official PRMC Fitness Program on the RM website includes 2 days of weightlifting (compound strength work) per week now. For years the saying was "you dont need to lift weights to join" which is no doubt true, but clearly the PTIs who are truly masters of sports physiology (and psychology) have adjusted that approach nowadays in keeping with the evidence out there and weights do have their benefit. Obviously no point doing bicep curls in the mirror and all that, but deadlifts/squats/bench etc are the compound lifts.

browner467

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry for jumping on this thread a bit late - One of the physios who works at CTCRM has actually put a mobility program together for me. Happy to share it if people want it?

Johnwayne

Reaction score
That would be very helpful mate, thanks!

Sorry for jumping on this thread a bit late - One of the physios who works at CTCRM has actually put a mobility program together for me. Happy to share it if people want it?

browner467

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
That would be very helpful mate, thanks!

Not a problem, this particular routine focuses on the spine and lower body.

Spine & Lower Body Mobility Routine

•Lower Back Mobilisation (Feet Up): 10 reps each side
•Thread the needle and backward thoracic: 10 reps each side
•Cobra into Downdog: 10 reps
•Pigeon pose: 2-3 x 20-30 secs
•Seated hip rotations: 15 reps each side
•Sumo squat: 15 reps
•Side adductor stretch: 5 x 10-15 secs
•Deep squat, raise arms above head: 10-15 reps
•Inch worm: 6-8 reps

Foam Rolling (2-3 minutes on each drill)
•Glute Foam Roll
•Foam Roll Adductors
•Foam Roll Calves
•Foam Roll Quads

Lemon

Reaction score
You guys have a lot of useful tips here on muscle pain, Im lucky that I dont have a problem with that but have you got anything on knee pain from running impact? Im 5'11" and 14 stone, I'm inclined to think its a weight issue because it wasnt a problem when I was 25 and closer to 11 stone. Since I started training for the fitness test I have visibly lost a significant amount of fat but my weight is the same. I am thinking im not going to loose any weight if the fat mass is being replaced by muscle (not bad I spose) but if the knee pain continues Im afraid I wont be able to continue

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
You guys have a lot of useful tips here on muscle pain, Im lucky that I dont have a problem with that but have you got anything on knee pain from running impact? Im 5'11" and 14 stone, I'm inclined to think its a weight issue because it wasnt a problem when I was 25 and closer to 11 stone. Since I started training for the fitness test I have visibly lost a significant amount of fat but my weight is the same. I am thinking im not going to loose any weight if the fat mass is being replaced by muscle (not bad I spose) but if the knee pain continues Im afraid I wont be able to continue

Were the same age I’m 5”9 and similar weight to you.

Do you do much running and if you do is it all constantly on concrete? And are you used to running as in have you been running for long or are you new to it?