Injury!

k mac

Reaction score
Hi,

I'am an 18 year old University student/tax dodger sorry!, I hope to join the RM as a recruit after the completion of Degree.I have been on the look at life course at Lymstone (highly reccomended!) and another Meet the Marines type thing on Bodmin moor.
I've joined the OTC, but I'am now injured 6 weeks in to the training. I have broken my Fibula and it has twisted and done some damage to my ankle ligaments.The leg has been operated on with pins being inserted and a plate.

I have seen there is a Recruiting officer on here and would like to seek advice from you as I feel like I'm wasting *the recruiting peoples* time by asking at the AFCO! What implications would this injury have upon me applying to join the RM?

Thank you very much K mac!

*Editing due to sounding like a t*sser

Reaction score
I have a friend in the Regt who had a nasty break a while back, and had to wait for full recovery, then go back into hospital to have all the metal removed, and then go physio and recovery again before he could pass the medical tests to be in.

My non-professional opinion is that its going to put you back at least a year.

k mac

Reaction score
My non-professional opinion is that its going to put you back at least a year.

I would give you're self a pat on the back, that is the same as the proffesional (Dr's) opinion! l, I'm gearing my self up for a years recovery then a good bit of work to get fitness back to any kind of state! (Luckily I don't graduate for nearly 3 years!)

Thats nice to hear someone has passed the medical with a similar kind of injury! Thanks for the reply!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the site & sorry to hear of your injury.

At risk of wasting your time due to working in an AFCO and all that: As you have at least 3 years at university to recover, it's a bit difficult to determine the outcome of your injury and how it will affect selection many moons into the distant future.

Assuming the leg is still attached, the prognosis may not be too bad. The AFCO Medical Examiner (ME) is the only person qualified to give a definitive answer however even he/she would be reluctant to second guess the full extent of your suitability until after you are fully discharged from outpatients, fully rehabilitated (completed physio), free from treatment/pain and can run straight without carving an arc or without a lisp or undue hindrance. With regard the ligaments & ironmongery within, it's again best to see what what's left in there before you speak with the ME.

Get well soon and best of luck at uni.

k mac

Reaction score
Hi ,

I meant wasting the AFCO time not my own sorry :worried: should really re read and all! I also live opposite the AFCO so its not a far hop, just was not sure if I would be allowed an appointment for such a question!

Thanks for the advice I am as you put it your self many moons away from being fully discharged from Outpatients so will wait it out and take it from there. I hopefully will be fully functioning in 12 or so months.

Thanks for reply. K mac

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The AFCO will be more than happy to advise whether you hop across or give them a ring, but as stated, wait until you are fully rehabilitated before booking a medical.

There was no need to amend your post - apologies for my flippancy in assuming otherwise.

New Threads