Insanity or Persistence?

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Having a chat with a friend yesterday. Won't bore anyone with the boring details behind it but he threw a quote at me that got me thinking.

Definition of Insanity - according to many quotes and sometimes attributed to Einstein (probably wrongly).

"Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome"
But isn't that also the definition of persistence?

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Mind blown.

Although persistence would be working towards a different outcome?

Like if plan A doesn’t work. You try plan B.

B won’t be the same as A? But you persist to get to your goal?

Maybe insanity is expecting the same outcome but persistence is expecting the same goal?

Ok I am confused now.

Chelonian

Reaction score
"Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome"
But isn't that also the definition of persistence?

I'll throw my interpretation in. The quotation might be based on the assumption that the mechanics of each attempt are subtly tweaked to eventually achieve the goal rather than exactly repeating a plan that has repeatedly proved itself flawed.

Repeatedly attempting to climb a six-foot-high wall by running into it and face-planting at full tilt will never be as productive as repeatedly adjusting one's technique to harness momentum.

I'd argue that it's a bit much to believe that the quotation defines insanity even if Einstein said so. But apparently he had a well developed sense of humour.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Personally, it's a bit early for any philosophical contemplation from me. My best attempts are made after several pints of IPA and whisky chasers. :)