Insurgent tactics

Matthew " Osiris" Cook

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Seeing as the Iraq/Afgani stage is going to be the most likely one I will serve in when I am a Royal Marine I thought it best to learn about how the enemy operates as much as possible, in particular what sort of offensive tactics they use. From what I know they like to surround CAT ( Coalition Troops ) from three sides as I have heard this a lot through footage and interviews I have seen.

So how do they manage to fence us in like that and why do we let them?

It looks like we advance into a compound or objective with a direct forward moving attack therefore displacing retreating insurgents, who then move into secondary positions around our parameter and rain down suppressing fire thus forcing us to use air strikes on those secondary positions until the sound of fire stops then maybe stay overnight then fall back and then the displaced insurgents return.

Is it because we don't have enough troops to use flanking maneuvers or is it that we as hindered by some other factors maybe the ANA is not trained enough to use these tactics?

That's just one tactic added to I.E.D.'s, ambush and suicide bombers do the insurgents have any other tactics that they use?

Osiris

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i think you are looking to far ahead *text deleted* mate, just focus on passing selection first, and worry about tactics in the pre deployment training in a few years time!

Matthew " Osiris" Cook

Reaction score
i think you are looking to far ahead *text deleted* mate, just focus on passing selection first, and worry about tactics in the pre deployment training in a few years time!

I think you have a point but I am thirsty for knowledge and I am not going to not learn just because my tour is far away, I will pass out mate I can assure you, I want this too much, sacrificed to much and put so much effort in already.

I am also sure there are many people who are closer to active duty then me and they might benifit from this discussion.

Osiris

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
not only that, but nobody on here has been deployed to afghanistan yet, so dont *text deleted* the talliban tactics appart from the obvious I.E.D strikes and gurilla tactics. and i doubt that a discusion about things we dont *text deleted* is going to help a bootneck about to deploy *text deleted*

Matthew " Osiris" Cook

Reaction score
not only that, but nobody on here has been deployed to afghanistan yet, so dont *text deleted* the talliban tactics appart from the obvious I.E.D strikes and gurilla tactics. and i doubt that a discusion about things we dont *text deleted* is going to help a bootneck about to deploy *text deleted*

Thats true *text deleted*, maybe the guys have heard or seen something or maybe thay know friends who have?

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You might have more luck on RumRation.

C

critchmufc

it may be too dangerous to try and flank the taleban in the green zone, becuase they could be hiding anywere, already in position for the three sided attack

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score

Mate its a discussion, we can talk about things other than passing rt.
Its like saying dont do your driving test concentrate on passing out! *text deleted* no harm intended, just annoys me when people say concentrate on rt, after all this website was designed to help us as much as possible.
Rant over! XD

Peace out

Ertjie

Reaction score
They insert stopper groups by chopper on the enemies retreat routes

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i never would have thought of that.......

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Personally was planning on slapping them to death with a wet fish...

I'd use my cock. Bigger, harder, smellier, and a lot *text deleted**text deleted*ing uglier.

On a serious note, Royal has started using Apache's on the located withdrawal routes for the Taleban, and they watch for runners, and mow them down. Taleban set up ambushes on re-inforcement routes in.

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i think we need to use more agressive tactics. dont just push the taliban out of a compound, hunt them down and kill them all.

C

critchmufc

why cant we all just be friends, get high on opium and have a massive...no...astronomical orgy with the taleban

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Has'nt got much to do with afghanistan but at the moment im reading sun tzu - the art of war

It has some basic concepts that i think people would benefit getting their heads around.

Paul-M

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Has'nt got much to do with afghanistan but at the moment im reading sun tzu - the art of war

It has some basic concepts that i think people would benefit getting their heads around.

Awesome book, changed the way I looked at a lot of things.

S

Sotiris

i think we need to use more agressive tactics. dont just push the taliban out of a compound, hunt them down and kill them all.

And what do you think the SAS, SBS, SEALS, Delta force, Force Recon, FFL and all SF's are doing?