Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Interval timer on PJFT?

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by Anguyyygrieveyyy, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Anguyyygrieveyyy

Anguyyygrieveyyy New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hey everyone so I did my PJFT a few days ago and unfortunately failed on my 10:30 run, I was about 10-15 seconds from passing. One of the main issues given to me was that I was going up and down on speeds too often (which I accept). I am planning on doing my 2nd attempt soon but I have an idea which solves that issue which is using an interval app on my phone during the run in order to get a better grasp of slowing and speeding. Am I allowed to do this?

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  2. Surfbum

Surfbum Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say no. You want to be hitting your target comfortably and consistently. I would recommend going at a higher pace early on until you can start to feel yourself fatiguing, slowly drop it down. I havnt tried raising my speed during a mock before so cant comment but I cant imagine it's much good, both physically and mentally, to feel the need to speed up. I run at about 15kph for until around 0.9 of a mile then drop based on how I'm feeling. I always smash the last 400m to as high as I can possibly go.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheBreak

TheBreak New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I’d spend a bit of time actually practising the pace needed to get the time.

Not only are you going to feel a bit more confident in achieving the result as you’ve practised it, you won’t have to mess about with controls and timings whilst running.

I don’t think the speed needed is too high to pass, around 14kph I think.

If that doesn’t work I’d try and smash out some sold 0.5 mile interval times until you can pull them together to a solid 1.5. I used to sprint 800m 6-8 times, and helped my 1.5 hugely.

Good luck with the retest.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Firedrake

Firedrake Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    If you stick the treadmill at 13.9kph then speed it to 14.4 at half way you will come in on time....Just. I'm not sure what speed you are starting at but I have a feeling your rushing out of the gate.
    If you can't crack the PJFT without slowing down at points it would be advisable to get more time on the treadmill, or maybe a PT session at the gym to improve this before you reconsider taking it again. They have lowered the pass requirement time and removed the incline if the PJFT making it passable to anyone who is willing to train for it.
    If you find its hard you should take a step back and work on cardio. do your interval sessions on the treadmill by all means, that's great but throw in some 5-10k runs as well to boost your endurance. If you struggle with PJFT the PRMC will be extraordinarily hard for you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Surfbum

Surfbum Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I can vouch for this. I got off the tarmac and was training Intervals for 2 months solid. They are very good!

6×400m @18kph going up by 0.1 every session until you can go no quicker!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Anguyyygrieveyyy

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I think I did also start too fast at 15.5 kph. Next time I will stick between 14-13 kph

7. Anguyyygrieveyyy

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I meant 14-15 kph

8. Surfbum

Surfbum Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Just done mine 2 hours ago, 15kph until 1.8 km then 16kph to 2.1ish then the remainder on 18kph. Got me in at 9:30. That's a crap return for me but a little insight as to what I did.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Firedrake

Firedrake Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Honestly I think it would be better to start at the minimum speed. Then finish strong.
    I started at the minimum speed 13.9 and kept ramping it up and got a 9.29, which turned out to be a PB. I pretty much went to 14.4 after 1 min then 14.8, 15.3 at 5 mins and so on. I finished the last 20s at 20kph and then almost fell over on the cooldown. I also got this time on PRMC with a sustained pace.
    A former Royal Marine gave me this advice. "Never start all out. If you do that then end up at the back of the pack you will be shouted at. Keep at a pace you can maintain and finish strong, that will always look better."
    You are not being graded Pass, Merit and Distinction on this so I can't see why anyone would try and fly out of the gate and go for a PB to start off.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Firedrake

Firedrake Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Good Luck on your next attempt. You know where you went wrong so I'm sure you will smash it next time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. thefellsman

thefellsman New Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    The most effective way to pace a race for the vast majority of people is a negative split (second half ran faster than the first). Virtually every athletics record has been done this way bar a few.

However, being that the PJFT is treadmill based it is impossible to fail if you set the treadmill at the correct speed and manage to hold on

If I was you I would run at 14km/hr for the first 1.2km and then once you're in the zone up the anti. I wouldn't be aiming to scrape past in 10min 30. It's a little close to the edge. Aim for a little quicker e.g 10:15 and it'll give you more leighway.

Good luck bud!

• Like Like x 2
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  12. Gingersaurus

Gingersaurus New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I've got mine on Tuesday after work.

My plan is 8.5mph for 0.5 miles - 9.0mph for 0.5miles - 9.5mph for 0.25 miles - 11mph+ for 0.25 miles.
    If all goes to plan I should come in around 9:50 and I can forget about the dreadmill and go back to the road and fells :D

• Like Like x 2
  13. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Literally just do 15kmph/9.4mph the whole way will get you in safely for 9:30-40ish. If the thought of 10 mins of hard effort on a treadmill causes a mental fart then re evaluate what you're doing! Don't mean to patronize but they don't even have an incline now so it should be a doddle!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Sly3

Sly3 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    I’ve been doing the PJFT for years now, great foundation to build solid running even from nothing. I find training intervals of 1min off 1 min on cycles for 10 mins x2 the run elements being your ease pace like mine is 12.4kph and the sprint at 16.5 to 17.0 depends on how I feel.

The CV boosts are max ! Do this in preparation you’ll zoom on the dreadmil my stats after doing this for so long. PJFT first leg at 11.8kph to the end. Then second leg start at 16.0kph and every 2 mins of work increase by 0.5 kph to the end.

Most of my returns come in at 8:30 I’ll go on a limb here and say lads make cardio the foremost of your efforts till PRMC don’t bother trying to be Arnold Schwarzenegger, you won’t get far.

• Like Like x 2