Interval training

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I’m starting interval training tonight. Doing sets of 15 kmph and 8.7 kmph rest, as recommended by another user on this site. I’m doing it until I have done 3-4 miles.
How do you progress with intervals, do you gradually increase the speed at which you run? Or do you decrease the rest time? Or just do more sets but keep the speeds the same so that you have run more distance?

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It depends on your goal.

If you're looking to run faster, increase the speed. If you're looking to run longer at 15kph, decrease the rest time. If you're looking for endurance, increase the sets.

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It depends on your goal.

If you're looking to run faster, increase the speed. If you're looking to run longer at 15kph, decrease the rest time. If you're looking for endurance, increase the sets.

To help with my vo2 max and bleep test score

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
If you want to get better at the bleep test then you need to do the bleep test.
Unfortunately not. The bleep test Is a test of VO2 max, practising the bleep test Is very valuable to practice the pace, and turning techniques. However the actual test will not increase your VO2 max by a great deal.

The most effective way of increasing VO2 max is to do intervals.

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately not. The bleep test Is a test of VO2 max, practising the bleep test Is very valuable to practice the pace, and turning techniques. However the actual test will not increase your VO2 max by a great deal.

The most effective way of increasing VO2 max is to do intervals.

So is the way to build endurance with intervals to add more sets? *text deleted* I got 6 sets tonight, thought I could've done a bit more but I *text deleted* build it up gradually and not rush into it and get injured. It came to 6 sets totalling 3.4 miles in 25:34 mins (at a 2% incline)

Kez1996

Reaction score
Fair enough arny interval training is definitely a very good way to increase your bleep test score but if your not familiar with the bleep test the turning will catch you out

Kangarooj

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
So is the way to build endurance with intervals to add more sets? *text deleted* I got 6 sets tonight, thought I could've done a bit more but I *text deleted* build it up gradually and not rush into it and get injured. It came to 6 sets totalling 3.4 miles in 25:34 mins (at a 2% incline)
Ever heard of hill sprints mate? Find the biggest hill you can, sprint as fast as you can to the top, jog back, do it again. Will work wonders for your legs and will help massively with the higher levels of the bleep test.
Essentially yes, what you're suggesting will work to an extent.. but the bleep test isn't on a treadmill so I would keep the treadmill work for the PJFT.
Good interval/Fartlek strategies that I use is using lamp posts as markers and sprinting to one and then jogging to the next, so sprint jog sprint jog etc.

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
So is the way to build endurance
Build endurance by running at a controlled pace. 70-80 % of your HR max. Or barely able to speak is good guide. For around an hour non stop.

Vo2 max training, is flat out 95-100 % (it Is a very narrow heart rate band if you notice) say 800m sprints as fast as your legs can carry you. X 5-10 repeats. You should feel or actually be sick, for the first few occasions.

Make sure you seek medical approval before undertaking such training.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....-2-workouts-you-need-improve-your-vo2-max/amp

RMDO

RM Digital Outreach CTC
Reaction score
I'm not a PTI but use a treadmill for your PJFT but as soon as you pass that then get yourself outside. I would also look at running 3 miles (BFT distance) and then add a mile or 2. If you can run a good 4/5 miler then you will find running 3 easier on the day.

If you have to use a treadmill then increase the incline to 2%.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
I'm not a PTI but use a treadmill for your PJFT but as soon as you pass that then get yourself outside. I would also look at running 3 miles (BFT distance) and then add a mile or 2. If you can run a good 4/5 miler then you will find running 3 easier on the day.

If you have to use a treadmill then increase the incline to 2%.
100% agreed. We are constantly reminding everyone to train specific. If you're training for PJFT, then get on the treadmill and practice, practice and then practice. Once passed, then get outside in all weathers.

Interval training needs to be done outside and as @Kangarooj says, use lamp posts as markers. Once you have warmed up then start the interval/fartlek training. As you get fitter extend the distance out to what @arny01 suggests.

A good indicator of fitness is to hold a conversation whilst you're running. If you can talk whilst you're going along, then that's fine for a long steady run. If you're looking to push yourself then up the pace until you can barely talk.

Big lesson is, one step at a time. Get your PJFT out of the way, then concentrate on your PRMC.

Good luck

Alan

The Creature of the Night

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I’m starting interval training tonight. Doing sets of 15 kmph and 8.7 kmph rest, as recommended by another user on this site. I’m doing it until I have done 3-4 miles.
How do you progress with intervals, do you gradually increase the speed at which you run? Or do you decrease the rest time? Or just do more sets but keep the speeds the same so that you have run more distance?
Just to add my thrupenny bit:

I’ve found interval training has increased my speed, endurance and general cardiovascular. Ans I used it when I couldn’t run for nothing!!

From my own experience ? I found running flat out for 30 seconds, taking a 2 minute break was optimum when I started. I improved speed and endurance by simply adding 15 seconds to the run then subtracting it from the break. Now? I run for a solid 01.30 and rest for 30 (pace on the treadmill at 5mph for a break, 10mph for the run set at a 2% incline and I do 10)

Another solid strategy (which I believe’s been mentioned here) are hill sprints. They are incredible saying that.