Reaction score
Whats the average interview length?
Just out of interest..

Cliff-Hanger

Reaction score
Hey mate,
I can only speak from my own experiance but i think mines was around
40 mins. The first 30 or so of which is really easy going as your just
answering questions about yourself / hobbies / education / family etc.
The last short section you will be asked some questions about the Corps
history which is the part you need to take the time to prepare for.
Hope this helps!

Skippy

Reaction score
many thanks Cliff, least i know a rough timing.. mum said to me
MUM said:
Do you know what time roughly your *text deleted* finish your interview so me n nanny can go shopping
*text deleted*, thanks mum

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* they advise you it will take about an hour and for me I arrived 15 minutes early to make a good impression and waited 15 minutes for my interview to start, then it lasted around 40-50 minutes followed by a 10 minute wait for him to make his decision.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The rough rule of thumb is 45mins to an hour for an average interview. If you've had a convoluted upbringing, schooling or employment history it may be longer whilst the interviewer untangles your circumstances.

In some instances you may be given a break (15 mins upwards) after the interview & then go back for a debrief on how it went. Some careers advisers will tell you there & then whether you have passed or otherwise, others may want to make an evaluation first.

Don't read too much into it if you are sent for a break first, sometimes an issue arises which may need checking or sometimes that's how that particular careers adviser routinely conducts their interview & feedback.

Skippy

Reaction score
thanks Ninja, i was *text deleted* ask about if they made their decision there and then or i had to wait.. you read ahead of me :) thanks guys

Jewell

Reaction score
when i was 16/17 i had my light infantry interview and the guy sat me down and said this was a small prep for the real thing...(failed my medical thank god,best thing that could of happened to me)so spoke to this corporal then some high ranking fella came in and it started etc....

so 5 years later i have my RM interview and i thought it was the same process but no,it was straight into it which was fine because,lets be honest,its not hard to pass a military medical for infantry...sitting there in my suit talking to him like a mate,not in my interview pose or short and sweet answers...

30 mins later he said "you passed,good man" and that was it.

i was quite shocked.

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Had mine today. Went really well, felt comfortable the whole time. I spent about 40 mins talking about myself and family since things are differant back home to the UK and took a while to explain it all. One question that threw me off guard was "what was the lowest part of your life"

5 mins were spent on Royal Marine : Things asked were Corps birthdate, describe the corps badge name the commando units, what did i know about my chosen specialization, how long do you sign on for when joining the Royal Marines, what is the minimum amount of time you have to serve as a Royal Marine, how many weeks training does it take, have i seen the cockleshell heroes? then some questions about it (absolute laugh).

Chatted for 10 mins or so about the navy, in particular the new class 23 frigate, HMS Ocean and harriers and which followed me asking some general questions about the forces.

roguesniper

Reaction score
just had mine today too. went fine, just hate interviews! mostly talking about myself, with a few corps questions at the end.

all in all took about an hour for the interview. then a 20 min chat about whats happening next.

Skippy

Reaction score
just had mine today too. went fine, just hate interviews! mostly talking about myself, with a few corps questions at the end.

all in all took about an hour for the interview. then a 20 min chat about whats happening next.

Looks like we have things in common Rogue, i passed mine today to with pretty much the same as you.. got asked about rates of pay, length of service, what are the commando tests, are you ok with aiming at someone and pulling the trigger (thank you, brownie points on previous shooting experience :D)

Skippy

Reaction score
yeah *text deleted*. got your med before me though!

*text deleted*, you might *text deleted* check the dates *text deleted*.. 12th JUNE is medical, in your signature, yours is the 14th MAY.. unless you or i have written the wrong date, your much before me :P