Interview

S

Sotiris

Hey guys,

I applied for the Marines a few months ago and now I'm basically waiting to find the time to call the Local Careers Office to set up the first informal interview.

Can anyone offer any information that they feel is critical for this first step? Such as dress code and demeanor. I know you're supposed to dress to impress but do they consider every detail? Like hair cut...will too long imply lack of dicipline, too short appear wannabe? Hehe sorry if that appears far too picky but I'm trying to gauge the level of detail they judge you with.

Also any personal accounts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Just go as you are, at this stage all you are doing is making an initial enquiry. I've even seen girls roll-up wearing PJ's to make an enquiry about the RN - I kid you not!

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Just go as you are, at this stage all you are doing is making an initial enquiry. I've even seen girls roll-up wearing PJ's to make an enquiry about the RN - I kid you not!
You got to be Kidding!???

Was it a silky number? or a proper manky cotton thing, with a bit of breakfast down it.

S

Sotiris

Haha ok, that's contrary to what I've heard though.

I've always thought they judge you throughout the entire process.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Dressing smartly sends out positive outward images, granted.

When you first visit your AFCO, you may not even meet the careers adviser that is later going to make the selection decision. rest assured we do not annotate the application forms with: "needs a haircut", "nice PJ's", "Wore a mismatched tie, likely to cause a breach of the peace in a built-up area" and suchlike. The idea of an AFCO is to provide advice & information in an informal manner before you enter the selection process as well as conducting the formal selection process.

When you later enter into the selection process and attend your Selection Interview (Other Ranks) or Sift Interview (Officers) then you would be best advised to dress smartly as you would for any job interview anywhere.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I wouldn't have thought that you can come across too 'wannabe' *text deleted* surely if you're undergoing the selection process, it should be obvious you 'wannabe' a marine. I don't see the harm in dressing smartly, over dressed is better than under dressed. But I think as Ninja_Stoker was kinda saying, the most important thing in the first steps is your eligibility for the marines, not your taste in clothes. Just wash, and make sure most your dinner is in your stomach and not on your clothes.

Just imagine that you are the AFCO advisor, and think of all the details you have to supply to the potential recruit, and in the later stages, they are having to gather so much information from you and ask the right questions to best judge your eligibility, that they dont have too much time to eye you up and start making judgments on how much your jacket must have cost you!