Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Intro and advice

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by njb2018, Oct 10, 2019.

1. njb2018

njb2018 New Member

App Stage:
    Awaiting selection after AIB pass
    Hi all,

I’m looking for some very specific advice please in the hope someone is able to provide some answers!

I’ll try to keep this brief. I passed the POC at the end of 2018, and passed AIB early this year. In final selection I was on the reserve list until the end of September and unfortunately wasn’t needed. My plan had always been to join as an Other Ranks should I not be chosen, and was told at the POC we were able to go down this route should we not be successful with the officers application. When it became apparent I wasn’t going to be selected, I asked my careers advisor to change my application to a Royal Marines Commando role.

I have since been told that my POC is now out of date and, effectively, I have to reapply all over again (medical, eye test, PRMC etc). Having been in the system for 2 and a half years, and having waited most of this year for the final selection board/reserve list, I just feel dejected now I’m facing another 6 month wait.

I was told at the POC my pass was valid for two years should I want to join as an other ranks, and this was echoed by 2 of my previous careers advisors, but I have now been passed to my third in as many weeks and been told I have all this to do again. This goes against everything I have been told previously so thought I’d check to see if this is firstly correct information and secondly if anyone else has had the same outcome.

Thanks.

2. JWJ

JWJ Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    • Like Like x 1
  3. CHUB!

CHUB! Careers Adviser

POC lasts for a year.To reactivate your application is easy if it has been withdrawn. You just need to re-apply, all your old information will be kept on the system.
    Medical only lasts for a year.
    A lad who wasn't selected by the end of August last year entered on the 3rd September the only thing he needed was an interview and security clearance sorted.
    Why now and not at the start of September. Feel free to PM me.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The only time I can think that a POC pass remained valid for two years was when a Reserved Place was offered to a 6th Form Scholarship applicant by AIB, but fairly sure that's no longer the case.

For a medical to remain valid for 24 months the application needs to be ongoing and reviewed and extended before the 12 month expiry point - if that didn't happen, then the default validity period, as I read it is, as stated above 12 months.

5. njb2018

njb2018 New Member

App Stage:
    Thank you both for your replies.

@CHUB! My AIB letter said to wait until the 16th (2 weeks after the batch started) and then they’d be in contact to speak about other opportunities. I never had any contact from anyone at AIB and my careers advisor suggested I wait until the end of September as they thought I could still be called up if there were injuries. On the 1st of October I requested my application role to be changed.

@Ninja_Stoker I’m sorry I may not have been clear, what I meant to say was that I was under the impression a POC pass was valid for a year but would be accepted as a PRMC pass for 2 years. I even double checked this multiple times with my careers advisor in September and was assured it was two years, so I feel very let down there! Fair enough with the medical, thank you, although this will now be my 3rd one!

• Like Like x 1
  6. CHUB!

CHUB! Careers Adviser

All can be fixed within a couple of weeks. I personally would want to do a PRMC to make sure my fitness had not dropped off there is one every tuesday. In my area I can get you a medical within a week.
    PM yours details and I will take a look. If you genuinely really want this it can be fixed.
    Let me know?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Totally understand the frustration but as @CHUB! alludes, an easy fix, potentially.

At risk of spinning off on a tangent, he says, spinning off on a tangent...the rules and regulations are in a permanent state of flux, based on anomalies that occur and have repercussions. For example, one of my previous candidates passed PRMC and kept deferring his entry date as he claimed he needed to get fitter. When he eventually joined CTC to commence Recruit Training, 9 months later he was, believe it or not, 4 stone heavier and failed the BFT, day two. Needless to say, I received a WTF phonecall from Foundation.

With regard my post above, as I'm no longer a frontline recruiter, I rang the WO1 Personnel Selection Officer (PSO) at Lympstone to check instances of POC validity, spoke to AIB and rang the Chief Medical Assistant in the Service Entry Medical Cell (SEMC). I also checked the latest Recruiting Instructions issued by Captain Naval Recruiting, before replying.

• Like Like x 1
  8. njb2018

njb2018 New Member

App Stage:
    I’d like to think I’m not 4 stone heavier but fully understand the point!

That’s some list, thank you for taking the time to do that. Thankfully my new careers advisor seems to have put me on the path to an ‘easy fix’ today and hopefully I’ll learn my fate soon enough.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Not a problem, I'm conscious of the fact things change so being wary of offering out of date info :)

Best of luck, hopefully you can complete the elements required for Other Rank entry in short order.

10. TheRents

TheRents Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    @Ninja_Stoker

Not in the correct thread I know, but you have asked for feedback on the forum and it seems to me that the above thread is the perfect example of why this forum, in its current format, is so essential!

SME's giving brilliant and to the point advice for those who genuinely need it!

• Like Like x 5