Intro and POC Quesiton

JMO

Reaction score
Hi,

In my last year at Uni, just passed my PJFT, hopefully make it into YO 18 batch.

I passed my PJFT yesterday and afterwards the Nuffield Health instructor went through the exercises that i'll have to perform at POC. To my surprise he said that the requirements were under hand pull ups, and sit ups were legs 30 cm apart and only shoulder blades had to touch the mat. I was under the impression that pull ups were overhand grip on a beam and sit ups were feet together and elbows have to touch the mat. So any clarification would be appreciated.

Cheers

JF1310

Reaction score
Well done on the PJFT pass mate! Have mine in a few weeks. What was your return time?

Pretty much in the same boat as myself, currently in my final year of uni and aiming for 2018 YO Batch.

In regards to the exercise requirements the Nuffield Health Instructor explained to you, as far as I'm aware, are completely incorrect and you've got it spot on with the overhand pull ups on a beam, legs tight together and elbows to above the knees on sit ups.

@Ninja_Stoker would be best placed to clarify this as I'm sure any changes to the RMFA side of testing at the POC, he would know about!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome @JMO.

Which Nuffield Health gym was it? Sounds like the fitness instructor needs a short sharp rebrief because that's patently incorrect advice unfortunately.

You are correct.

@RMDO, when back off leave, may wish to feed this back via the POC team so that we can quash "duff buzzes" at source.

JMO

Reaction score
@Ninja_Stoker Thought so, i even questioned it when he demonstrated but he seemed fairly confident. It was at the Rubery Nuffield Health gym.

@JF1310 Cheers, and i got a return of 9.28. If you can try and have a go on the type of treadmill you'll use in the test, deffo do it, maybe get a day pass to your nuffield gym because the treadmill i was tested on took significantly longer to get up to speed that what ive been training on. Just a heads up. And remember, it's only 10 mins, good luck!

JF1310

Reaction score
@JMO Solid effort, well done!

I've seen a few boys say that as well. Great heads up! However, I'm over in Belfast and we do the PJFT outside on a fairly large astroturf/hockey pitch type area. Certainly a lot better than a treadmill!

When are you looking to get away on POC?

JMO

Reaction score
@JF1310 aha i'd have killed to be outside! Hate treadmills. Easter time would be ideal just to fit it around Uni, but i'll take anything, just want to crack on to be honest.

JF1310

Reaction score
@JMO tell me about it, horrendous things haha

Yeah end of March/April time is what I'd be hoping for. I've seen a few lads do a start of June POC and end of June AIB. That wouldn't be too bad either, uni exams and everything finished up, plus an extra few months to get even fitter!

mactavish80

Reaction score
Hi lads, (@JMO and @JF1310 )

We're currently in the same boat, aiming for the POC about end of March time.

I got 9:28 on the pjft - pretty disappointing but the treadmill used in the rest really threw me, with it taking so long to get up to speed and also not displaying pace.

What kind of programme are you guys following for the POC?

JF1310

Reaction score
@mactavish80 How's it going mate.

At the end of the day, it's just another tick in the box! 9.28 is still a respectable time, you've passed it and one step closer to another stage of selection!

I'm currently following a modified Arnys, only changed one or two things and the rest is pretty much identical to the original! What about yourself?

mactavish80

Reaction score
Currently on a mix of arnys and other sport I'm doing.

Looks like there's a chance we could all end up at the POC at the same time.

Just out of interest, after you guys grads?

Circuits21

Reaction score
Hi Mate and congratulations! I used to be a NH instructor and it sounds like he has read you the wrong info sheet, hopefully a one off mistake!

I've got my careers discussion on the 10th then looking at getting on POC ASAP.

Hope training is going well!

Reactions: JMO

JF1310

Reaction score
@mactavish80 yeah we could well be mate!

Kind of confused at your last question? haha do you mean after we finish this year of uni are we graduates? If so, then yes I'll be a graduate with a sport and exercise science degree!

mactavish80

Reaction score
That'd be good if we were, I'll let you know the dates when I find out myself!

And I meant will you be a graduate when you start YO training in September, so in your last year of uni now? Sorry about that, I'm not too clear on how uni works *text deleted* - good luck if you've got any exams coming up though mate!

mactavish80

Reaction score
Sounds fancy, which uni's are you both at?

Looks like I'm a comparative baby compared to you old timers with your degrees

JF1310

Reaction score
@mactavish80 sounds good mate!

Yeah you're spot on, in my last year of uni and will have graduated by July. Thanks mate, I'll need the luck haha

@JMO took the words out of my mouth, looking forward to it being over.

mactavish80

Reaction score
17 currently, will be 18 in summer and probably the youngest on the batch if I make it, but I've got my fingers crossed.

How did you do results wise at A level, if you don't mind me asking?