Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Intro - Hopeful Drifter

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by CassNewman, Apr 20, 2019.

1. CassNewman

CassNewman New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Alright everyone. I'm Cass. 19 years old and I've been interested in the commandos all my life. I've been doing the whole 'should I shouldn't I' dance for the 3 or 4 years now but I'm finally going to go through with it.

My family were very keen for me to follow in my Dad's footsteps so they didn't like the idea of me serving. They said that I'd be wasting my intelligence if I became "cannon fodder". They think infantry folk are dumb and join because they can't find work elsewhere. I think you lot are a very respectable bunch though. A lot more respectable than the guys I've come across in my industry.

So I stupidly made what I though was a grown-up decision and forgot about my dreams of serving and got myself an office job with free coffee and a comfy chair. Basically general admin for a used car wholesaler, and running my own online business. My family are very happy with this but I am not.

The 'office worker attitude' really disagrees with me. I got told off by my boss for 'doing my job too well' when I started because I was making him look bad and I assume he felt threatened. I quickly got used to keeping my head down and collecting my paycheck but nothing more. No excitement, no team spirit, not doing anything that important. I know my team would sell me out in a day for a 20p raise. Thinking about being sat in that box for the next 50 years then checking out after not doing anything with my life scares me more than any battlefield could.

I realise now what a mistake I made. I shouldn't have gone into a job I hated just to please family. I've got to live with my decisions more than anyone, but I always put myself last when making them. But there's no use dwelling in the past when I need to look forward. I've made the decision to go through with it and train for the marines.

My eventual goal is to earn a green lid, maybe compete in a combat sport like BJJ or boxing, and move on to mountain leader then SBS if I fit the bill. I know that's a very lofty set of goals for someone who's currently overweight, living at home and hasn't done anything of note in his life but I'm willing to give it my everything. I've been thinking about this every day since childhood and it's finally time for me to take the plunge.

I'm doing this because I want to travel, to do something actually meaningful, become self-reliant, and ultimately, just learn what it means to be a man. I've been drifting a lot lately and unsure of what to do with myself, but thinking of earning a green lid has been keeping me going and I'm hopeful/exited for the future instead of filled with dread now.

I used to be at a decent fitness level and could pass the PJFT comfortably, but I have a few (okay a lot of) extra pounds now because I still eat like I'm active. So I want to work on only weight loss for the next 2 months. It would make more sense to move straight into proper training but my self confidence took a big hit with the weight gain and lifestyle shift. I think it'd really help me get in the right mindset if I can slim down a bit first then build some momentum from that. After that I'll work on maxing out PJFT requirements then move on to training for the PRMC. I'll probably be doing Arny's plan for this but undecided right now.

If you've made it this far through my drivel, I commend your endurance hahaha. Thank you for listening to my story and my goals. I won't lie, I've still got a long way to go and I'm far from an expert, so if any of you have any suggestions or resources to help me plan out this journey I'd be massively appreciative!

• Like Like x 11
  2. thefellsman

thefellsman New Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    Commendable decision. I wish you all the best. Good luck.

3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Welcome. Please contact me or one of the other mods by PM with a new choice of forum user name and we'll change it for you.
    Forum user names should be anonymous for reasons of Personal Security (PERSEC).

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

A warm welcome to the site, we hope you find us welcoming and useful.

Your options, if you want to keep a decent income, include joining the RMR.

Alternatively, if your online business can take a hit for up to 12 months with significantly reduced active input then there are plenty of trained ranks who enjoy a second income whilst serving in the regular service.

5. StrSam

StrSam New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Start Bjj now, and you'll lose the weight in no time! Plus your confidence will go through the roof

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kalashnikov30

Kalashnikov30 Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Just make sure you tap to heel hooks or it’s goodbye RM ;)

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  7. StrSam

StrSam New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Never... pride > knee health
    Hahahaha couldn't write that with a straight face; Always tap and tap often!

• Like Like x 1
  8. CassNewman

CassNewman New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for the heads up but it's not my real name. I got doxxed when I was younger so I'm unfortunately very familiar with PERSEC haha.

9. CassNewman

CassNewman New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yeah I'm *text deleted* get started asap I think. I've been looking up martial arts schools today and there's actually one very close!

• Like Like x 1
  10. CassNewman

CassNewman New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks! I've been lurking for a while and already learned loads.

I did spend a lot of time thinking about RMR and what to do with my business but, because I'm not that bothered about the money, I think I'll just close up shop. I'm very lucky that I don't have many financial responsibilities and save most of my money, so I should be able to take the paycut in stride! It's definitely still an option though :)