Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Intro - YO Applicant

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Lewisham_182, May 20, 2020.

1. Lewisham_182

Lewisham_182 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Good morning all,

Firstly I'd like to echo all those that have gone before in saying I'm grateful for all of the great insights I've gained from this forum - had many Qs answered without even asking and plenty of knowledge gaps filled!

I'm 23 y/o from south east England and a Criminology graduate from Pompey Uni. After reading a few of the previous intro threads to get some inspiration, I too will try give a brief overview of who/what/why/how.

My father was RM in the late 80s and my mother served in the RN too. In my early teens, ever since I began to understood what it meant to be a RM, the ambition was firmly set. I firmly considered joining the RMR during sixth form, but my nearest unit was not a viable distance to be travelling too on a weekly basis whilst also studying for A Levels - decided against it over fear of impact on my performance at school.. but my incapacity to smash exams ensured I still did distinctly average! I took a year out, did some solo travelling at 18, came back refreshed and hit the ground running at uni - upon leaving school I knew I'd eventually be applying for the RM, but in all honesty wanted to live the uni experience too, and knew 1) it would allow me to live independently first and mature further 2) get a degree which would set me in good stead in later life if and when needed - as I've seen many times on here, lads worrying about when to apply and if it's too early etc. - I personally knew I'd always be applying, so first take the opportunity now to go and study in field that interested me, play a load of sport, party hard, come out with an expensive piece of paper and some quality memories I will laugh about forever. Certainly not pushing uni as a silver bullet, as I was never set on going - but as soon as I found a degree that definitely interested me, it made sense.

After graduating I put in my application for RM officer. Again, I could've joined the RMR whilst at uni but I was playing so much sport and everything in between that I just wanted to join (the regulars) when I could invest all my time, energy and focus into training. Why Officer? I gen didn't consider this option until about mid-way through uni. It was only when one of my dad's old friends mentioned it too me that I began looking into it. Don't want to bore you with interview prep but simply put, as I've got older, many situations I've been involved in have enabled me to build up experience and potential. After others complimented my abilities, felt I'd be doing disservice to myself if I didn't try.

Put in my application in late July, had an initial careers discussion in late August, didn't pass Medical until mid-Feb (had a nightmare retrieving medical notes, failed hearing test first time round, then had to do a 12 week exercise diary to prove an old hip injury wasn't affecting me), passed PJFT in March, passed SIFT interview late April, and now waiting for a date for virtual AIB. Been told 'super' POCs will be done asap as soon as restrictions are eased.

Any questions about my personal experiences or application, please don't hesitate to ask.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

It definitely helps. I think too many people chase a degree subject which they loathe but think will be useful only to discover that everyone else has done the same. :(

Welcome. Just dive in.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lewisham_182

Lewisham_182 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    For sure. Going to lectures wasn’t a bore, I happily did the research when I had to write coursework, therefore it got done quicker and with less stress which left more time/energy for everything else. Anyone can get one, so you’ve got to ensure all the time/money etc you’re investing in it will be of value in return I.e enjoyment factor (will create many more avenues) and future applicability!

Thanks very much.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Some years ago The Globe & Laurel journal featured an article about university degrees and relevance to a Royal Marines career. Interestingly, the subject studied was of zero consequence. History of art, music, theology, surfing, physics, PPE, the classics... all were equally regarded.
    The more important factor, particularly for YO candidates, was that a university degree also provided two or three years of independent living.

5. oneman1

oneman1 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    What so virtual AIB first, then 'super' POC date?

6. Trooper149

Trooper149 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Awaiting selection after AIB pass
    From the looks of it, yes however the super POC date hasn't been verified. But it will be before mid July as that is when FSB is (or has been the last few years).

7. anon1234

anon1234 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    FSB is 9th July, but I would think that it's subject to change to be honest given the current situation.