Intro

Craff94

Reaction score
Hi ,
This is second time of going to join the military.
first time round I was 19 and some family reasons stopped it from happening, then I got full time job and passed it off . Always having it in the back of my head that’s what I wanted to do and experience.

Now I have just turned 26 with two kids I would like to give this another go, I started application before COVID pandemic. Went into the local AFCO and got my head turned by the army recruiter. Now after time of thinking through lockdown ect I have came to the conclusion that if your going to do something you may aswell do it right and the marines is right .

is there anyway I can transfer my application with army over somehow , and also once passed and going to your unit , what is the chances of getting 43 commando as I am from Scotland and to far away from faslane.

thanks in advance

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
You will need to start a fresh application with the RN you can not transfer an application over. As for units you can ask but you may not get - service needs first, I would also honestly ask yourself if your aim is to be near home prior is this route is really for you as you have 1 year straight of the bat anyway for training - most bases are SW England so you may be a good distance from home form long periods

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
One thing I would add is that of the two Commando units based in Scotland, 43 is statistically more likely than 45 after Kings Squad but by no means guaranteed. If family circumstances are a significant issue with regards location, the RMR maybe worth considering.

Craff94

Reaction score
Thanks @ the guide and ninja stoker ,

yeah a don’t mind bein away for training and if it was excercise for how ever any month it came to to , just for family side it’s better for them the closer I am , would rather 43 commando is it something if a went else where coukd transfer to 43 commando when space became available or is once you are with your unit that’s you there till end of service

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Manning is based on the role and readiness state of the unit - the ones at the higher level get the warm bodies first - Once at a unit you can try to sort a swap draft - i,e you know somebody (by asking around) who is the same rank / and same branch and potentially the same additional qualifications and ideally the same amount of time served at each unit roughly as you, if they want a swap - you have to do the leg work on this - it the gets presented to your boss and the "system" can ask the manning desks if they are prepared to "swap" you over they may allow it the may not, even if to you there are no issues, it will have a knock-on effect in the draft chain. If they are prepared to allow it all costs fall to you (fuel, moving your kit - as you get a small relocation allowance normally). As mentioned above by Ninja you rarely stay at one unit and will at some point move down south, the fuel allowance you get (GYH- get you home) covers around 2 trips a month return as long as your residence meets certain criteria (not rented being the main one)

byprep

Reaction score
What’s the score with Get you home pay. We live near London, but my lad is considering 43 because he likes CQB etc. He’s also coin operated and he’s heard they get extra pay.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
He needs to own a property for GYH fuel allowance!! Other than that he gets a few warrants in his first few years, but that's it,!!

Craff94

Reaction score
Thanks for your help ninja stoker and the guide , are you an official careers advisor the guide ?