Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Introduction 2

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by casio97, Feb 7, 2020.

1. casio97

casio97 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Hi, 22 year old hoping to join the Royal Marines after I finish my final year of university.

Not sure if this is the right place for a question but I am sure I will be directed to the right place if not.
    Currently in my last year of university and also in the UOTC and although I have always wanted to join as a regular, I feel like I would be silly not to join as an officer from the impression I have got from some staff I have encountered. I have just always wanted to be in the middle of the action and I feel like I will not get the same experience as an officer. Is this a naive position to hold? Also, it would be nice not to have to worry about money and although not currently an issue, I am sure that in 10/15 years from now it may be more of an issue so that too is in the back of my mind but it wouldnt be the be all and all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Welcome to the site and best of luck in your aspirations.

It is a common query which boils down to what motivates you most at the point of entry. As you'll probably have realised whilst in the UOTC, the role of Troop Commander at the sharp end, on the ground and on operations is usually for one, maybe two postings. During that period, you can probably expect probably two, maybe three operational deployments if there's "stuff going on".

Thereafter, whilst there are always exceptions dependent on career route, the opportunity to undertake frontline combat ops declines. Then again, few appreciate at the outset that after a few close scrapes, they are an elegant sufficiency. Many people imagine they can have a 20+ year action packed career without any adverse effect on themselves or their home life.

Very often many people entering into the Officer cadre fail to appreciate the significance of the job title and the responsibilities that come with it. The administrative and duty of care elements of the job are often overlooked.

We once had one guy state he wasn't joining to look after other people by being their "wet nurse", he was joining for adventure only and to lead on the battlefield. He appeared blithely unaware of his responsibilities and accountability for the welfare, training, efficiency, promotion and wellbeing of those he wanted to take charge of. Equally, this chap appeared to believe that because he was academically eligible for a commission, then it was his devine right to lead others, regardless of potential ability.

At the point of departure from the services however, the higher the rank you leave, as rightly observed, the better the pension - by a significant measure. How you get there is up to you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. casio97

casio97 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Thanks for the reply @Ninja_Stoker !
    Yes, I have read a fair few posts aswell where they talk about how little time you actually spend in a troop as an officer and that seems to be the real negative for myself.
    When you mention 'depending on career route', what sort of career would there be that would have the most amount of frontline combat ops? I appreciate that yes, I severely doubt you could keep it up for 20 years but then again, rather something closer to that than the typical two years as you stated above!
    And yes, the admin would not be a huge selling point for me even though I appreciate that even as a soldier there is some admin involved but obviously nowhere near as much.
    I have been told a few times that because of my degree that there is no reason I should not go in as an officer but now I can see that there is also no reason why I should.
    Yes exactly, and from a few posts I have seen, the oppurtunities for careers after military service can be well paying in comparison so that is always an option.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Others better qualified than I might address your specific questions but I'll make an observation:

Every year CTCRM appoints about forty YOs who pass out to their first command appointments. Logically, those YOs from previous years will also move on to fit positions which are more appropriate to the experience and skills developed they themselves developed as Troop Commanders.

A high proportion of Royal Marines Other Ranks are academically qualified for Officer.
    An extract from a speech made by Maj Gen Buster Howes CGRM to the RUSI Maritime Operations Conference in 2010:

"Forty percent of Royal Marine recruits are educationally qualified to be officers. Over 10% have university degrees. Two currently in training have Masters degrees and when I was running the Commando Wing fifteen years ago, two fully qualified vets joined up – we only discovered this when none of their respective troops visited the Sickbay because they were being ‘physicked’ with Horse Drench and Saddle Liniment.

I visited 539 Assault Squadron in Plymouth a month ago and talked to a group of coxswains who were about to conduct a long navigation exercise in Off Shore Raiding Craft to the Scilly Isles. One Marine looked older than the rest and I asked him what his background was. He explained that he had joined the Corps late and had, to use his word, ‘wasted’ some time working at the ‘Hadron Collider’—smashing atoms—as a Professor of Sub-Atomic Particle Physics. I told him not to smash my boat up!

Fifty percent of my officers finish in the top ten percent at the Joint Staff College. That said, we have the lowest ratio of Officers to other ranks in the three Services.
    "

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. casio97

casio97 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Thanks @Chelonian ! Appreciate it and that's an unbelievable story hahaha, just shows that it takes all sorts.