Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Introduction - RMR at 30+

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Smurfy0103, May 17, 2020.

1. Smurfy0103

Smurfy0103 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Evening all!

First of all - this is such a useful site with some amazingly helpful threads. Thanks to those posting and keeping it going!

I'm currently upto the medical part of my application so slowly getting there. I always wanted to be in the forces and was so close to joining mid way through my apprenticeship, around 2006-7. To this day though, a little part of me regrets not doing it at the time. Time is ticking for me now to join as I'm 31 now, so with the support of my family, I went for it and applied for the RMR in April. I have a great job which I love and want to be there and support my family, but there has always been something missing. Deep down I know it's because I'm craving the buzz for adventure outside of the norm. Hopefully I can achieve that in the RMR.

Intrigued to see if there are many others joining up or have passed the RMR training around their 30's.

Looking forward to the (hopeful) challenge ahead. Keep up the good work all!

2. Sniper11!

Sniper11! Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Welcome mate

I'm a fellow RMR applicant, also at the f2f medical stage and also 31.

What's your local det?

Also as a heads up, if your profile name is your real name I'd contact admin and get that changed, Persec is the first bit of military lingo to learn :)

3. Sniper11!

Sniper11! Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    @Caversham are you the man for the job re. name changes? I reckon there may be a Persec issue

4. Smurfy0103

Smurfy0103 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Thanks for the heads up Not sure how thats happened - should have been Smurfy0103. Mods messaged so hopefully sorted soon.

Great to hear you are similar on the time line to me. Be interested to see how things progress between us.

My local detachment is at RMR Leeds, Ceres Division. What about you?

5. Sniper11!

Sniper11! Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I'm down on the south coast so I come under the London umbrella.

Yeah it's always nice to learn of other 'oldies' although I certainly dont view myself that way. Who knows what the plan is for the RMR applicants at medical stage, although I do have my interview on Thursday so hopefully that'll be another step closer. I guess in the meantime it's phys phys phys! And practice the VPJFT+!

6. Smurfy0103

Smurfy0103 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Ah fair play. Best of luck and hope it goes well for you

And yes I don't view myself as old either. Just got to give it my best crack before it's decided that I technically am too old though :)

VPJFT+ is a new one on me until this evening really - until finding this forum most of the process I had seen was the traditional PRMC route, so glad I have come across it. I'm sure it would have become apparent at some point during the process , but I guess and early heads up is always helpful!

7. Sniper11!

Sniper11! Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    For sure. I was similar, with a PRMC late June I had been prepping as normal but was informed by my CA to start practicing the VPJFT+ via YouTube so did my first on weds. To be frank if you're fit enough to honestly believe you are ready for PRMC then the VPJFT+ should not be a problem...

How are you enjoying the process so far? Phys coming on ok? What do you do for a living?

8. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Myself, or any of the Mods/Admin can change a Username. PM us with what you want.

Alan

9. Smurfy0103

Smurfy0103 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    @Caversham - all sorted following my email but appreciate offer to sort - thanks @GreyWing for changing

• Like Like x 1
  10. Quenners

Quenners Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Hey all,
    I'm also applying for RMR this year London - I have passed the telephone interview and have my medical triage call this week. I'm aiming my phys to be on course to join the intake in August, but I'm expecting delays to the face to face medical because of C-19 so who knows... Have you guys been told you'll be doing VPJFT?
    P.s I'm 29 this month so I'm not far behind you!

• Like Like x 1
  11. JP1992

JP1992 New Member

Hi all,

I am also hoping to get on this years intake at RMR London. Applied beggining of last week so hopefully can push everything through in time to start in august. 28 in a couple of months so think most will be on the older end of the scale.

How's everyones phys going?

12. Sniper11!

Sniper11! Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    @Quenners @JP1992 what are your local dets?
    How did the telephone interview go? I have mine on Thursday. Due to be on the June 19th PRMC but I assume it'll be cancelled. I have not been told I will be doing the VPJFT+ however I have been advised to practice it.
    Phys is going ok. Had the dreaded C word just before lockdown began and its taken me to this point to recover the fitness I had pre illness. I was absolutely gutted, had just gotten to the end of a 10 week training cycle, got my 1.5 time down to under 9.30 and almost maxing gym tests and with another 15 weeks before my PRMC then bang I was ill. its set me back a couple of months but hey ho. how about yourselves?

13. Quenners

Quenners Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    It went fairly smoothly. Few things to keep in mind - Know your CV/your story, when significant events in your life happened i.e. finished school/uni, job changes etc. Be specific - your age at the time and the month/year. Might sound basic but I found in that situation, when asked about events that occurred 10+ years ago, I had to rack my brains which threw me a little. I was kicking myself because that's basic stuff.
    Be clear on your reasons, yourself, your history, and why you think you are right for the role now.
    I was asked the fitness requirements to pass PRMC, commitment required for training and the commando tests.
    On top be prepared for knowledge of the corps and it's history, the ethos and values, and current roles and responsibilities around the world.
    It's not overly intense and I think it could be dramatically different depending who is taking the interview, just make sure you are prepared with answers and you'll be fine! Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Quenners

Quenners Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Oh and they also asked my current fitness stats and training plan

15. Sniper11!

Sniper11! Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    awesome thanks. what are your current fitness stats and training plan?

16. JP1992

JP1992 New Member

My local det is portsmouth.

Oh mate thats a real shame about the illness. The main thing is you recovered fully and back on track.

My phys is going ok suffered a knee injury at the start of the year so just started taking it slow once i was feeling up to it. Getting 10:05 return at the minute and my gym stats are average. 42 press ups, 60 sit ups and 7 pull ups. Not tested myself on the bleep test yet so need to do one of them.

17. Sniper11!

Sniper11! Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Yeah it is what it is, I'm getting back to fitness slowly. I'm Portsmouth aswell, pm me if you like and we can keep each other in the loop if we get any gen?

18. Smurfy0103

Smurfy0103 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Ahh I see. I watched a few of the clips on Youtube last night and this morning and have an understanding of the VPJFT+ now. See what happens on the lead up to that with my CA, but in the meantime i'll be giving it some practice. First being this evening.

Im enjoying it yes its a minefield of information to take in but thankfully forums like these can answer most questions thoroughly. Being able to talk to a CA face-t-face would have been great too, but obviously things prevent that from happening which I suppose it is what it is.

Phys is going well. Could obviously be better doing some additional strength work in the gym with pull up bars etc but I'm just finding other ways to keep working the similar muscle groups. I also do a lot of cycling - particularly mountain biking which relies on a lot of upper leg and core so helping out too.

Great to hear Quenners and similarly hope I can get on an intake in August. Not far enough on to find out about VPJFT+ but hopefully soon. Literally just been contacted by my CA about arranging my telephone interview, so fingers crossed it goes well and thanks for the pointers on the type of things to be quizzed on!

Nice one JP1992 and it seems there are more of us around the 30 mark which is reassuring to hear that it isnt just me! I guess the RMR has more chance of attracting a slightly older demographic - people with commitments, existing jobs which they dont want to leave completely.

Gutted for you on the knee injury but sounds like you are making progress. I suffered with a mild case of pneumonia in Feb which took me a good month to get back and straight to a reasonable level of fitness.

19. af23

af23 Member

Speaking from experience of going through RMR training in my 30s it’s achievable like anything in life with the right mindset.

However there are many variables that present hurdles for each individual. Family, finance, time and fitness are just a few that factor on your success. These variables will differ from regulars going through training.

The majority of your troop will be older than you but you can use that to your advantage to get the best out of yourself. Eyes could be potentially on you so use it as a positive to perform your best at all times.

Joining the RMR has proved to be a great decision for the challenges, experience and transferable skills into civilian life.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Smurfy0103

Smurfy0103 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Thanks for sharing af23 and great to hear of your first hand experiences.

I completely understand where you are coming from in terms of the variables and how they can affect commitment and getting through it all. I'm very fortunate that I have a very supportive family who have all reassured me that we'll do what it takes to get through it. Hopefully then, my only boundary for getting through it all is my own self discipline and mindset.

Ive been contacted today about my phone selection interview. Interview happening tomorrow at 1900 so fingers crossed all goes well.

Medical questionnaire being pulled together as well, so hopefully that's all sorted soon.

• Like Like x 1