Introduction - RMR at 30+

Sniper11!

Reaction score
Speaking from experience of going through RMR training in my 30s it’s achievable like anything in life with the right mindset.

However there are many variables that present hurdles for each individual. Family, finance, time and fitness are just a few that factor on your success. These variables will differ from regulars going through training.

The majority of your troop will be older than you but you can use that to your advantage to get the best out of yourself. Eyes could be potentially on you so use it as a positive to perform your best at all times.

Joining the RMR has proved to be a great decision for the challenges, experience and transferable skills into civilian life.
Thanks @af23 for the insight. What challenges did you encounter aside from the training itself, and what aspects of training did you find the most challenging?

Sniper11!

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing af23 and great to hear of your first hand experiences.

I completely understand where you are coming from in terms of the variables and how they can affect commitment and getting through it all. I'm very fortunate that I have a very supportive family who have all reassured me that we'll do what it takes to get through it. Hopefully then, my only boundary for getting through it all is my own self discipline and mindset.

Ive been contacted today about my phone selection interview. Interview happening tomorrow at 1900 so fingers crossed all goes well.

Medical questionnaire being pulled together as well, so hopefully that's all sorted soon.
Good news mate, good luck with the interview. I'll be keen to hear about it with mine later this week

af23

Reaction score
@Sniper11! I had young children and a house I had to think about whilst training which personally was difficult.

Sleep deprivation was the hardest part of training along with the cold and wet.

Finding moral with oppos was by far what got me through some weekends and courses I attended. Just laughing together in adversity can make things easier when it gets tough.

Sniper11!

Reaction score
@Sniper11! I had young children and a house I had to think about whilst training which personally was difficult.

Finding moral with oppos was by far what got me through some weekends and courses I attended. Just laughing together in adversity can make things easier when it gets tough.
Yep I hear you, and can relate being ex regular. I presume you're still in RMR now? What has life been like since earning the lid? And what does the commitment level drop to? With all that's going on at the moment my boss is hesitant to let me go for RMR unless I can give him some assurance that it's not as full on after training

af23

Reaction score
I came out of training with an injury with days left before I could of passed out. I then had time out due to family circumstances.

I’m tempted to return again but it would have to be from day 1.

I can’t comment on exactly what life is like after getting a lid for the above reasons. However blokes that were in my troop ended up going for rank and became part of the training team. Other courses are available after training.

Last edited:

Sniper11!

Reaction score
I came out of training with an injury with days left before I could of passed out. I then had time out due to family circumstances.

I’m tempted to return again but it would have to be from day 1.

I can’t comment on exactly what life is like after getting a lid for the above reasons. However blokes that were in my troop ended up going for rank and became part of the training team. Other courses are available after training.
Great insight, appreciated. Last question, when do you find out the training weekend dates? Do you get a list in advance or do they spring them on you? I work some weekends at present and therefore would need as much notice as possible to get them covered.
Thanks again

Smurfy0103

Reaction score

Sounds like youre similar to me. I too have kids and a house to worry about so can likely take a lot from your experiences.

You should be used to sleep deprivation with kids JK

I'm very fortunate that my company have also employed RNR's before me, so I have their full support too.

That sucks that you had an injury so close to the end. Hopefully the taste of what it could have been like makes you consider more that return in the future for round 2!

Thanks for the useful info!

Smurfy0103

Reaction score
Evening all

Just thought I'd update you as I had my phone interview this evening. All went well! A few pointers from me purely as a nudge for others due to have theirs soon.

So even with me having a previously good interview track record in civvy life, there are some things which get asked, which can, and will, catch you off guard.

Obviously the key without a doubt is do your homework on the Corps. It may sound like I'm regurgitating what others before me have said, but it's very true. I did a lot of swotting up prior, and to be honest before the interview began, the interviewer reassured me that the questions were not designed to trip you up. Simply there to get a picture of you as an individual which calms the nerves somewhat.

With that said though, it's surprising what they quiz you on - for example, things such as the Corps history and main components of the RM, rank structure and chain of command, weapons systems and current operations to name a few examples.

Its definately worth putting an extra couple of hours aside beforehand just to brush up on your knowledge.

I guess that ultimately if you can demonstrate that you have been doing your homework, it's going to put you in good stead through the interview and beyond.

Hopefully the above helps those due to have their interview soon. Best of luck!

In other news, my medical questionnaire went in today too excluding the obvious eye examination which I'm glad is sorted for now. Triage appt. next I guess!

Sniper11!

Reaction score
Well done mate good work.

Did you find out there and then if you'd passed?

Smurfy0103

Reaction score
Well done mate good work.

Did you find out there and then if you'd passed?
Thanks Sniper11!

It was a funny one - it wasn't an answer of you've passed or failed - or atleast as far as I understood. It was more of a 'thankyou, I'm happy with how this has gone' sorta thing.

He advised me to keep checking my portal for a 'post interview caution' letter to sign (or something worded to that effect) that effectively says if you get in trouble between now and RT then your application can be withdrawn - amongst other things.

So take that for what it is for now!

Well done mate!
Thanks mate fingers crossed eh!

Smurfy0103

Reaction score
With me they called me back 15/20 minutes later to let me know
Ah right I wonder if given that it was nearly 20:00hrs when it was finished, may mean I need to wait till tomorrow.

In any case, hoping for the best!

Griff149

Reaction score
Great insight, appreciated. Last question, when do you find out the training weekend dates? Do you get a list in advance or do they spring them on you?
Yes you get the dates plenty in advance. I’m hoping to join RMR intake for August and we were given the dates 2-3 months back.

Sniper11!

Reaction score
Interview in the bag. It was a reasonably informal affair I think due to my previous service. Some great banter (I'm ex RAF Reg). My interviewer wasn't able to shed much light on the current recruiting process for RMR, as is understandable, however he did mention that CTC were taking recruits on at risk at the moment, provided they pass the Triage part of the medical. This could mean they will do away with face to face medicals for RMR for now, and move straight on to VPJFT+, then holding troop once Dets open again. Obviously that's just an educated guess.

Smurfy0103

Reaction score
Interview in the bag. It was a reasonably informal affair I think due to my previous service. Some great banter (I'm ex RAF Reg). My interviewer wasn't able to shed much light on the current recruiting process for RMR, as is understandable, however he did mention that CTC were taking recruits on at risk at the moment, provided they pass the Triage part of the medical. This could mean they will do away with face to face medicals for RMR for now, and move straight on to VPJFT+, then holding troop once Dets open again. Obviously that's just an educated guess.
Fantastic mate well done

That's very similar to what I was told from my CA. VPJFT+ then onto holding troop roughly in Sept with medical and eye examination in abeyance, until its safe to complete them.

I suppose its all at their risk, but what else could they do in these strange times.

See what happens moving forward.
When are you hoping to do the VPJFT+?

Knowing holding troop is September, I'm hoping to give as much time as I can so I know ultimately I can achieve all the criteria of the PRMC and as comfortably as possible, irrespective of the current circumstances.

Sniper11!

Reaction score
Fantastic mate well done

That's very similar to what I was told from my CA. VPJFT+ then onto holding troop roughly in Sept with medical and eye examination in abeyance, until its safe to complete them.

I suppose its all at their risk, but what else could they do in these strange times.

See what happens moving forward.
When are you hoping to do the VPJFT+?

Knowing holding troop is September, I'm hoping to give as much time as I can so I know ultimately I can achieve all the criteria of the PRMC and as comfortably as possible, irrespective of the current circumstances.
Thanks mate. happy to do VPJFT+ whenever they call. Moving forward I keep preparing for PRMC, up the intensity a bit and throw in a couple of VPJFT+ a week. And do a sh1t load of stretching to try and stay injury free! As it stands London intake is August.