Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Introduction - YO Applicant

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Dan8696, May 22, 2020.

1. Dan8696

Dan8696 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Good evening everyone,

It goes without saying but thank you for being added to the forum, it's been a huge source of information and help for me when deciding to start the application process for the Royal Marines.

I'm 23, a soon to be graduate of Public Services from Manchester Metropolitan University. My original plan when joining university in clearing after I first failed a Criminology degree at the University of Liverpool was to revert to a subject that I knew after doing it in college. We had a couple fitness sessions that the Royal Marines hosted for our course at college each year but back then and even going into first year at Manchester I was looking for a career in the Police. This all changed when on a family getaway down south when we started thinking about what I would do if I wasn't interested in a role in the police.. Many hours of thinking later, I changed my outlook for what I wanted to do, but knew that attaining a degree in the process would be a good idea, should for any reason I be unsuccessful.

My family has a history of being involved with the Royal Navy. My grandad on my dads side of the family was in the merchant navy and he alongside my dad in his early working life worked at Barrow building the Submarines so the dockyard up there has a pretty strong connection for my Dad and his dad, even to this day they both love going back there to see it, even if it is empty. On my mum's side my Uncles both went to the Falklands, one still works at RNAS Culdrose whilst the other has just retired from the ambulance service and all have been so encouraging when I brought up that I'd like to join the Royal Marines as a young officer and I can't remember a time when there has been this much support for one of my career choices.

After finishing my course earlier this month, I submitted my application and started the process, I could've started the process earlier on but I was over 15 stone in uni this year. Now around 3 weeks after finishing uni I'm down to around 13/14 stone with weight just falling off with the influx of exercise and improvised home made gym workout sessions. I realise I am still very early on in the lengthy process but any advice is good advice at this stage.

Any questions that you have, I'd be more than happy to answer.

• Like Like x 3
  2. TheRents

TheRents Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Welcome to the forum!

Wishing you the best with your application