Introduction

Discussion in 'Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Vermilionleech, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Vermilionleech

Vermilionleech New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Just introducing myself. I'm 17, current passed everything up to my interview. I have my face to face medical in a week, and I have to redo my interview in approx a month. It's been a month since my first interview, and the Petty officer who interviewed me believed my running was not up to par, and I agreed. (I wasn't aware I needed the fitness to be on point by this part of the application process). And he also believed I needed to improve my knowledge of the commando tests. I do know them, it was just a few things that slipped my mind at the time. But since then, my fitness has improved massively. And I plan on starting to practice on a treadmill soon as possible.

Feeling confident, it's abit slower than I originally expected, but at least I'm moving forward. And thats what I'm most happy about. Looking forward to it!

• Like Like x 1
  2. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

Welcome! And Yea mate, it's usually best to be smashing phys before starting.
    Have you done a Mock PJFT yet? What sort of running and training have you been doing?
    You should really be practising some sort of treadmill running first for the PJFT then progress to mileage for PRMC.

There's plenty of information on this site for you to find out the other stuff required. And you need to get the Commando tests burned into your mind. Get stuck into the website mate and you will find the answers.

3. Vermilionleech

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Thanks mate, its good to be here!

At the moment, I'm doing about 4 sessions a week for weight training, calisthenics. Doing 50 pull ups volume, and 100 push ups and sit ups per session. Running 2-3x a week. Typically a 1.5, a 3 mile and then some sort of sprints. Every 2 weeks or so, I'll do a 6 mile. Looking to focus on treadmill running alot more in the next few weeks or months.

Current stats:
    Push ups: 39 (was a good 2-3 months ago)
    Sit ups: 55 (recent check)
    Pull ups 6 (not on a board)

1.5 mile: 12:20 (It sucks, but its a massive improvement from what it was)
    3 mile: 25-30 minutes (Not focusing too much on it)
    6 mile: 1:15:00 (which was my first 6 mile run ever)

None of this is perfect or much to look at. But I'm improving faster than I initially expected, and as long as I'm progressing, I'm happy.

And yeah, I'm trying to get the tests nailed down in detail. Watching documentaries, "bragging" to my friends with what I'll be doing ;). Just trying to repeat it in my head a few times. My corp history isnt too bad, which was what I was expecting to be questioned on. But apparently, lots of recruiters do it differently? Some ask alot about history, some ask more about current affairs. That sort of thing.

4. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

To me, you need to flip it. Your doing 4 sessions of weights and less of running. You don't need to be doing them separately either.

You need the mileage and pace in your legs.
    Your stats are good, but room for improvement. You should be cracking a PJFT at least once a week to get the pace down.
    Don't bother doing 1.5 mile run on its own. Do a 1.5 at a lesser pace as a warm up then crack another 1.5 you should always aim for 3 miles as your shortest distance.

Even if you walk/slow jog the first 1.5. It will build the stamina.
    Have you got access to an area to try a Bleep test?
    Make sure your cracking some pull-ups/sit ups/push-ups after your cardio.

You are getting there. Keep progressing.

@arny01 care to weigh in?

It's good to just keep learning a broad spectrum of corps history and current affairs.

5. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Ye 100% agree!!

Construct your training as follows.

4 x runs per week. Consisting of

1 x long slow effort 8 miles is good
    1 x interval session. 800m sprints x 6-7 is good for a beginner progressing to hill sprints asap
    1 x recovery run the day after your hardest session
    And 1 x mock PJFT at your stage. Switch to 2 x back to back BFT AFTER PJFT.

Supplement with 3-4 circuit training sessions focusing on ROYAL MARINE standard body weight exercises press-ups, pull ups etc.

It's not exciting it's not cool, it's not got any funny name. It gets the job done, and that's what you want.

I did a specific prmc training plan, which is on this site. A few lads have found it OK. Try it out? If you do that and put in the effort. You'll pass prmc.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Vermilionleech

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Is that 800m at a time?

• Like Like x 1
  7. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Yep 800m sprints.

8. Fibonarchie

Fibonarchie Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Modesty to the extreme! It and yourself are famed throughout the site.

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  9. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

On your PRMC these are performed to a beep, under strict supervision and form. Have a look at this link, as well as the PRMC videos that are around, which will give you an indication of what you need to do.

Good luck

Alan

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  10. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Thank you very much!

• Like Like x 1