Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Aqua24, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Aqua24

Aqua24 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi everyone,

As for an intro is needed let me tell you a bit about myself and my journey in life so far. I am 15 and live between two homes as for my mum and dad are split so I live between two houses, one in Ellesmere port and another in connahs quay. I was bullied from a young age for not being like a typical girl and not wearing make up to the point I was getting cyber bullied and bullied. I have now only just learnt to start making friends with girls a year a go, as for before a year ago all my friends were boys and then I joined sea cadets as for i wanted to join the Maine cadets. Through sea cadets I have been able to make friends with more people. Anyway, i have tried for ages to get into the marine detachment in my unit but they don't want girls so that won't stop me.

Every guy is going to judge me from the moment they know am a female wanting to be a commando, but to me its not just a job. In the commandos I feel I could be the best me and could be apart of the best. I know its really hard work and I have been working toward applying and going for it next year as for I have been working hard and will continue to work hard to get myself to wear I need to be. If your going to judge me on being a girl and laugh at my dream then I am happy for your comments because instead of knocking me down you will just motivate me more to prove you wrong. Yes it will probably take me ages to get in but I will never give up and I will keep trying. If I end up breaking I know I will pick myself up and keep on going. Any tips on how to train and diet plans would help as for am already working out and have a diet plan but I want to improve it so am more prepared, if you have any tips they would be really appreciated and I would be really thankful.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Welcome. Plenty of information, advice, comment and lively debate here. Get stuck in. :)

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Welcome young lady! You sound a tough cookie and the career you wish to embark on is probably the hardest one you could choose. You will get knocks and comments as to your suitability along the way, but hopefully you will be strong enough, (literally), to overcome this. The biggest observation is that there is no lowering of standards, but this will be down to the politicians, not you.

Time is on your side and by the time you can apply the first females will have entered the recruitment system, so plenty of time to train and get yourself into peak condition.

Good luck with your aspirations.

Alan

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

Welcome. Get stuck in. You have a few years to get everything sorted.

What sort of physical activity do you do? Have you competed for the Sea Cadets at any events, athletics, or teams?

As far as I am aware, it doesn't matter what your Marine Detachment want, it should be in the JSP/equivalent publication that girls can join.

End of the day, cadets are a youth club not a fighting unit. They are in the wrong.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. pacessdo

pacessdo Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Whats your stats like If you don't mind me asking?
    Bft
    Press ups
    Sit ups
    Pull ups?

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Squatmonkey

Squatmonkey Royal Marines Commando

Best of luck

Regards fitness I would recommend you introduce some strength training to help build up your GPP eg squats to build muscle around your knees/hips to protect them as girls have a higher incidence of acl injuries. And plenty of upper body work across the elbows shoulders and back, as girls again tend to carry less muscle mass up there due to hormonal differences, and the laxity across the joints will mean possibly an increased chance of injury

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Aqua24

Aqua24 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I do swimming every Friday do a work out that includes burpies jumping jacks pull up push up sit up and loads of other things and I run every morning. And yes I have competed in the swimming competitions there football competitions and other sea cadet competitions. I use to be a apart of a cross country running team but I quit because it wasnt good, so I joined sea cadets. And thank you for taking your time to welcome me

• Like Like x 1
  8. Aqua24

Aqua24 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thank you very much. And I know its the toughest career but all my life I have had people say things and do things which were major set backs but to me set backs are what make you stronger, and I want to prove to everyone that woman will be able to do the same as men. Thank you very much, it means a lot to here someone who beleives that girls can do it to

9. Aqua24

Aqua24 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I can do loads of sit ups press ups can do a few and I can do a few pull up and I know I need to gain more muscle strength so I'm waiting for my training plan to come in. If you have any tips I would be happy ti hear them

10. Teapot

Teapot Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    TMU
    Head to the training section of the forum for plenty of training advice. Check out Arny's plan, it's treated as gospel on this forum. If you can smash Arny's plan, you'll be on your way to serious fitness. Just remember to build up your running carefully and slowly. Being 15 means you have plenty of time on your side!

I remember being 15 and wanting to join, I'm now 23 and finally getting to where I've been aiming. So don't rush things, train hard, but train smart. Young people get injured because of their exuberance.

You've found a brilliant source of help here and nobody here will knock a 15 year old for dreaming big, male or female. Good luck with your training!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Aqua24

Aqua24 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thank you will do

12. Aqua24

Aqua24 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thank you and I will. And my dad knows a lot about fitness and was asked to become a personal trainer but didn't want to give up his old job so he is working with me right at the moment and making my training plan with me. Thank you all of this means a lot

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wings

Wings Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Personally I would say go to college first just incase anything happens along the road. It is insane how much mature and mentaly resiliant you become from 16-18. You sound mature enough anyway. Just so you got some qualifications that can get you into university or a job if you get there and don't like it. You may you never dislike it but many people get to training and think nah not for me.

There are online videos for what you would do on your prmc and they have push up sit up pull ups videos to the bleep you can practice too. Try adding hill sprints into your runs.

As for bullies. What are they going to do?
    BTEC Level 2 in hair and beauty, because we need more of them!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Aqua24

Aqua24 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thank you, you have really inspired me and will do thank you

15. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Press ups will be a big part of your training. Doing them to exactly the correct Royal Marines form will be crucial. Plenty of YouTube resources on the subject and no doubt your dad will already be aware. Best of luck.

Exactly. Often they merely project their own insecurity and lack of ambition hidden behind the illusion of confidence.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Aqua24

Aqua24 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thank you and will do, it means alot that your not automatically judging me in my fender so that thank you so much

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Welcome to the site & best of luck in achieving your career aspiration.

As has been said already, plenty of time to prepare. My tip is to keep it simple & do not try to do too much, too soon because preventing injury is a critical factor for everyone, regardless of gender.

Injury prevention is infinitely better than having to endure the trials and tribulations of training too hard, too soon and not allowing your body to recover. Getting knocks, bumps & scrapes and training whilst injured will result in pushing your target further away.

Best of luck.

• Like Like x 3
  18. its_meg

its_meg Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Currently in application to become Royal Marines Officer (as a woman) so if you have any questions feel free to message me. To echo what has been said I would advise continuing with college or sixth form etc - at 15 I was a right idiot to say the least. I knew my mother hated the military...told her I was going to Harrogate the next year over text! That did not go well to say the least but I am so glad it didn't because it was definitely not what I wanted to do and I was not mature enough I was just trying to get away from home.

In terms of being 'judged' for being a female, don't worry too much about it. None of the guys on here have any issues personally with any women wishing to join and understand why we are they just want to make sure no standards slip and we don't expect anything else. They give a bit of chat but just throw it back, it's all banter ;)

• Like Like x 6
  19. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

No worries. No need to thank anyone here. Get your feet under the table and as stated before, get stuck in.
    And give as good as you get. :)

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  20. Aqua24

Aqua24 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thank you, this mean a lot and will do

• Like Like x 2