Introduction

Discussion in 'Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Wenceslas, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Wenceslas

Wenceslas New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hello lads, looking to join, I am a big lad, 6'4 300lb, been lifting weights for a couple of years, more powerlifter style, so I basically think I am tough but look more like the michelin man than anything else.

Started changing my training to core lifts, mixed with some weights to bring up lagging muscles like triceps and pushing in some bodyweight stuff, smashing max reps of sit ups, press ups and assisted pull ups as and when, doing a ton (for me) of cardio, mainly cycling, rowing, will start running when the wait comes down, also need to learn to swim, so yeah, any general tips would be much appreciated on how to get into shape.

Also I know what I am doing nutrition wise.

2. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

If you intend to join the Corps then my advice is to get out on the roads and get the miles in your legs. Being a muscle bosun in RT will probably hinder more than help you. When you're trying to haul your 300lbs to the top of the 30ft ropes then you'll appreciate what I'm saying! Also, I wouldn't want to be the guy that has to carry you on the fireman's lift!

Plenty of routines and training plans on here so dive in and if in doubt ask.

Good luck

Alan

• Like Like x 2
  3. Wenceslas

Wenceslas New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi Alan, First off thank you for replying, I understand running and losing weight is necessary to join the Corps, I am looking to lose mainly fat but am under no dillusion that I will lose muscle too, aiming for around 200lbs so quite a way to go. My main reason for staying off running was, as not having run for ages, that I was told running at my weight would badly damage my knees.

Also I will look up the info on here as I am sure there is years of experience and advice on the site.

Thanks again for replying.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

You're right about your knees. Try non impact activities such as cycling and swimming. I was 136 lbs when I joined, (wouldn't have got in these days), and suffer from crocked knees!

Alan

5. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

Not qualified to give advice but how about hill walking while learning to navigate as a start to your cardio?

I'm sure some of the more qualified could say whether or not this idea has merit.

• Like Like x 1