introduction

ash mitch 1

Reaction score
Hello my names Ash, i am 15 and new to this website. I will currently be 15 years and 9 months tomorrow which means i will be signing up tomorrow! Any tips for what i should do to get as fit as possible. I'm already running and doing circuits that has been set by the marine poster that i got from careers evening etc, push ups, sit ups, pull ups, burpes and swimming. Thankyou advice and tips.

Kangarooj

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome lad! What sort of level is your fitness at right now? I.e press ups, sit ups and pull ups? BFT time? Bleep test score?

We want answers.;)

ash mitch 1

Reaction score
37 press ups in 2 minutes,50 sit ups in 2 minutes. I got to level 11 on the bleep test. Sorry I don't know what BFT time means?

Kangarooj

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
37 press ups in 2 minutes,50 sit ups in 2 minutes. I got to level 11 on the bleep test. Sorry I don't know what BFT time means?
The BFT is the Basic Fitness Test, it's a 3 mile run split into 2 1.5 mile runs within a minute of each other, the first must be completed in under 12:30 and will be completed as a group, the second is best effort and must be completed in under 10:30
Also, if you go on YouTube "Royal Marines press ups" or sit ups etc the actual test will come up and you can use that to find out what your personal bests are

ash mitch 1

Reaction score
I ran 3 miles under 18 minutes. I ran 1.5 miles to the beach which took my 8 minutes and then the run back took me 10 minutes.

Kangarooj

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I ran 3 miles under 18 minutes. I ran 1.5 miles to the beach which took my 8 minutes and then the run back took me 10 minutes.
Sounds good mate! Try doing the first run to the beach at a steady pace and then the run back as fast as you can, because that mimics the BFT
You're still pretty young though, so don't over exert yourself otherwise you can risk injury a lot more than someone who had a bit more experience training or is simply just a bit older, naturally your body will toughen up and get stronger as you age.
While you can join at 16, most people recommend you give it a couple of years at least for your body to develop. I'm 19 at the end of the month and I'm not going to continue my application until April next year(for medical reasons).. I could be 20 years old by the time I've earned my green lid, and I'm definitely glad it's that way.
Of course it's down to you, just weigh up the pros and cons of applying now before you actually commit yourself. There are many people on this forum who have extensive knowledge of the Royal Marines (Careers advisers, ex-Royal Marines and Serving Royal Marines are on this forum) which can help you out, but they can't make the decision for you. Sorry for the long post:D