Introduction

potential_rm1664

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a particular situation which i am unsure how to approach and have been told by various friends that this site is a good place to go for some advise.

Basically my situation is as follows - I applied for the Royal Marines best part of 18 months ago, I was TMU for just over a year due to medical issues i had as a child/trouble obtaining medical records etc, eventually i was deemed fit and was free to book in and do my PJFT - in between all of this unfortunately i made a stupid decision which resulted in me being convicted of a common assault - sentenced to a detention of 13 weeks custodial sentence suspened for 1 year (this is my first and only offence) and a compensation order (paid in full).

My suspeneded sentence will be up in March and i wish to continue my pursuit of joining the Royal Marines.

I have read various threads about waivers/rehabilitation period etc for my type of sentence and was wondering if you guys could possibly givc me some advise on the below:

1. What is the process of obtaining a waiver for my particular sentence / If possible what measures to i need to put in place to give myself the best possible chance of being granted on?
2. If unable to be given a waiver - being 18 at the time of the incident does this mean i qualify for the lesser rehabilitation period (1.5 years)?

Thanks guys

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a particular situation which i am unsure how to approach and have been told by various friends that this site is a good place to go for some advise.

Basically my situation is as follows - I applied for the Royal Marines best part of 18 months ago, I was TMU for just over a year due to medical issues i had as a child/trouble obtaining medical records etc, eventually i was deemed fit and was free to book in and do my PJFT - in between all of this unfortunately i made a stupid decision which resulted in me being convicted of a common assault - sentenced to a detention of 13 weeks custodial sentence suspened for 1 year (this is my first and only offence) and a compensation order (paid in full).

My suspeneded sentence will be up in March and i wish to continue my pursuit of joining the Royal Marines.

I have read various threads about waivers/rehabilitation period etc for my type of sentence and was wondering if you guys could possibly givc me some advise on the below:

1. What is the process of obtaining a waiver for my particular sentence / If possible what measures to i need to put in place to give myself the best possible chance of being granted on?
2. If unable to be given a waiver - being 18 at the time of the incident does this mean i qualify for the lesser rehabilitation period (1.5 years)?

Thanks guys

You’re going to need the big cheese on this one.
@Ninja_Stoker is the resident Guru and Oracle into all things recruitment.

My take is, it was a silly mistake, we are all young and stupid. So hopefully it won’t affect your application too much, maybe delay it a bit.

Make sure you learn from it. Always think of the bigger picture, don’t let some toilet ruin your life choices. Sometimes the bigger man walks away.

And more importantly if the answer is to wait, take it on the chin, be a man about it, knuckle down and train with that goal inside. And never make the same mistake twice.

potential_rm1664

Reaction score
True Say!

A very silly mistake defintiely which has definitely taught me some tough lessons.

Hopefully Ninja can give me some advise on the best course of action! Just wanting to get stuck in and crack on now without it hanging over my head but i suppose i'll have to accept the
repercussions of my actions.

Thanks for the reply man!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The rehabilitation of offenders act (uploaded below) clearly states a custodial sentence (suspended or actual) of less than six months, has a two year rehabilitation period AFTER completion of the sentence. The sentence is suspended for one year, so 12 months after the conviction, the two year rehabilitation period begins. Once that two years has elapsed, a fresh application can be made.

If you were under age 18 on the date convicted (not the date of the offence), the rehabilitation period is 1.5 years.

Waivers cannot be requested. Your careers adviser, in exceptional circumstances, may wish to apply for a waiver on your behalf. Being a first time offender, commiting an offence that results in a custodial prison sentence, "exceptional" really means exceptional unfortunately. The circumstances would have to be unusual for an offence against the person to be adequately mitigated.

Best bet? Speak to your former careers adviser (CA), tell him/her your unique circumstances and see what they say. Don't hold your breath holding out for a waiver as it involves a fair amount of additional admin & can be turned down ....even if your CA thinks you are certain to be the next Pope.

Attachments

• AFO MOD Form 493 March 2014 version.pdf
    195.6 KB · Views: 8

potential_rm1664

Reaction score
The rehabilitation of offenders act (uploaded below) clearly states a custodial sentence (suspended or actual) of less than six months, has a two year rehabilitation period AFTER completion of the sentence. The sentence is suspended for one year, so 12 months after the conviction, the two year rehabilitation period begins. Once that two years has elapsed, a fresh application can be made.

If you were under age 18 on the date convicted (not the date of the offence), the rehabilitation period is 1.5 years.

Waivers cannot be requested. Your careers adviser, in exceptional circumstances, may wish to apply for a waiver on your behalf. Being a first time offender, commiting an offence that results in a custodial prison sentence, "exceptional" really means exceptional unfortunately. The circumstances would have to be unusual for an offence against the person to be adequately mitigated.

Best bet? Speak to your former careers adviser (CA), tell him/her your unique circumstances and see what they say. Don't hold your breath holding out for a waiver as it involves a fair amount of additional admin & can be turned down ....even if your CA thinks you are certain to be the next Pope.

Hi Ninja,

Thanks for the reply..

I've had a read through the MOD form so have a better understanding now.. I'll give my AFCO a call and see what their thoughts are.

Although the chances are slim - If requesting a waiver would be an option after speaking to my CA is their anything i can do to help the application in terms of a testimonial/character reference or is it solely down to the circumstances?

Thanks Again!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Yep, definitely references would help, particularly if written by an employer or someone in a position of responsibility willing to vouch for you.

Bear in mind, if your CA is willing to go the extra mile and consider a waiver, he/she cannot submit.it until at least half of the full rehabilitation period has elapsed.

potential_rm1664

Reaction score
I understand, Thanks Ninja..

Once i am able to re apply will it have to be a completely fresh application or will they keep my previous medical records etc?

The reason i ask is i had a nightmare the first time round with my medical and retrieving all records from my GP etc.. When the time comes for me to re apply would it be worth speaking to my GP prior to my medical to get all of my records together so i can take them with me?

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I understand, Thanks Ninja..

Once i am able to re apply will it have to be a completely fresh application or will they keep my previous medical records etc?

The reason i ask is i had a nightmare the first time round with my medical and retrieving all records from my GP etc.. When the time comes for me to re apply would it be worth speaking to my GP prior to my medical to get all of my records together so i can take them with me?

Keep us updated mate. Best of luck.

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Best of luck to you, the military is a good option for you. It's an environment where mistakes will not be held against you!! Worst case scenario is a two year wait! After your suspended sentence is up. Your still very young. So the opportunity to apply will still be there for you.

Good luck.