Introduction

James_SC

Reaction score
Hi all.

My name is James and I am looking to join the Royal Marines upon finishing my studies overseas (although I am British, I have been living abroad my whole life.)

I'd always liked the idea of joining the Army. It wasn't until I was about 2 years ago I had given it some serious thought and right now, reaching the age of 17 I am doing everything I can to prepare myself.

I am currently turning my cellar into a home gym and have spent a lot of blood, sweat and tears doing so.
I had re-plastered the walls, painted the brick finish, fixed up the door and covered the floor in wooden lino. With this master piece of a room I plan to be able to do well over 20 strict pull ups and gain a strong core as I feel as that is what I can benefit a lot from. Currently I am also taking around 8 hours of Jujitsu classes weekly by Europeans most advanced Jujitsu personnel (which I recently found out and found that to be really cool) and should be just passing my brown belt examination or close to.

I also have done tones of research (although my knowledge still lacks in some fields) and will after getting my own Bergen for Christmas and go on lone 30 km hikes in order for me to get my legs into some serious shape w/ a strong back and blister proof toes.

If I ever say anything complete and utterly senseless, don't mind me, I am probably just back from my hike.

Thank you for reading this, hope that I get the support I need from this forum page.

James.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. There will be plenty of advice for you on here during your process of joining the Corps.

Just to get you off on the right foot, we take PERSEC seriously on here and you may wish to change your username to something that is not associated with you. Just let myself, or one of the other admins know and we'll change it for you.

One other bit of advice is to do not carry any heavy weights prior to joining, so forget the loaded bergen and 30k yomps. Plenty of time for that when you're in. Your priority at the moment should be your PJFT, which is your first physical test in your application process. After that you should be training for your PRMC, which if you pass, will allow you to commence RT.

There is plenty of advice on here on both of these, so just ask, or use the search function.

Good luck

Alan

James_SC

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice, me having all the time ahead of myself I didn't mean first try to going full out, but I am very keen on my hikes so I thought that this would be good on getting used to a pair of military like boots and weight on my shoulders as although I do go on walks, I don't w/ a backpack or a pair of proper boots. Anyway, thank you for the advice.

James.