Introduction

atpl

Reaction score
Hi

Currently in commercial pilot training been looking at going into the military after training, or pause my training for a few years. Coming to realise at 18 im a little young to go into flying full time and if I’m honest would like to do a bit of living.

I have a few options if I were to finish my training, and keep my Instrument Rating current none of my licenses would lapse. It’s about £600 a year to renew that so not a big cost.

I could also remove myself from my training and receive a full refund as I’m currently still in the groundschool phase.

I’m doing really quite well at flight School (passed my first set of groundschool exams) but the reality is don’t think I’m ready for it mentally yet. Still got that big bit of me that wants to join the military for a few years.

Medically I’m not to worried got a CAA class 1 medical so shouldn’t have any issues with regard to that.

The reality is the pay is better then my first year at a the operator I’m looking to get a job with (£16,000 annually).

Seems to me like a decent decision, really not sure how I’m going to put it to the old man!

Chelonian

Reaction score
The reality is the pay is better then my first year at a the operator I’m looking to get a job with (£16,000 annually).

Welcome.

Assuming that I'm interpreting your post correctly your first year's salary would be about £16,000. Presumably training fees are deducted by an employer which subsidises ATPL training? And I'd guess that the salary improves rapidly once training fees are paid off?

As you're no doubt aware commercial aviation is a volatile employment sector. Economic factors outside of your control might mean that airlines won't be hiring should you return to ATPL training in future years. But, on balance, that's just one more risk to factor in.

The parental opposition you refer to would probably be based upon the notion that you now have a place on a career path for which you have previously expressed considerable interest and for which you have passed the required selection tests.

If you've recently passed your first ground school exams, well done! Would I be correct in assuming that you started your ATPL course in about October 2017? If so, it's perhaps still quite early to make a judgment about continuing with it. I'd suggest that you thoroughly research other career options while continuing on your chosen path. You can then make a properly informed decision.

Clearly, I don't know your circumstances so any comments from me are merely stuff thrown into the mix for consideration. This forum is a fine resource of information so just dive in.

wellmemedmyboy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Not going to lie. If I was piloting would I have joined the Army? Probably not.
Maybe join the reserves? Then you can do both and see where you want your career or careers to progress

atpl

Reaction score
I’m just about to finish my second phase started in September. Once ground school is over I’ll have a look at my options and see where I’m at. If my exam score average is above 85% I’ll proceed if not I might get a bit more life experience and try again in a few years. Not really one for quitting when I start something.

Chelonian

Reaction score
If my exam score average is above 85% I’ll proceed if not I might get a bit more life experience and try again in a few years. Not really one for quitting when I start something.

A sound approach. Nothing to stop you both researching a service career and engaging in the specific phys training. Plenty of pointers on this forum about that. Much of the training has a CV and endurance focus and as one's ability grows, so will confidence. Clearly a benefit whatever one's career path. Best of luck.