introduction

Wannabecannonfodder

Reaction score
Just here to ask questions as ive been thinking about becoming a Royal Marines Commando for 2 years now and recently left level 3 public service course after doing my level 2. after been told im not fit enough with my running times by staff (royal signals, ex para * i know) wanting to prove them wrong. Thanks

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Just here to ask questions as ive been thinking about becoming a Royal Marines Commando for 2 years now and recently left level 3 public service course after doing my level 2. after been told I'm not fit enough with my running times by staff (royal signals, ex para * i know) wanting to prove them wrong. Thanks

As much as it helps to have the fuel of proving to other people. You also need to want to prove to yourself you can do it.

What’s your phys like at the moment?

Wannabecannonfodder

Reaction score
sorry for the late reply. 10.30 mins 1.5 mile time, 85 sit ups in 2 mins, 55 press ups, not to sure about my pull ups but last time i did them was 5 (lacking on the pull ups).

Kangarooj

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
sorry for the late reply. 10.30 mins 1.5 mile time, 85 sit ups in 2 mins, 55 press ups, not to sure about my pull ups but last time i did them was 5 (lacking on the pull ups).
That's not a bad level of fitness , I'd say your running IS where youre lacking though since you can only just scrape a pass. But then again a pass is a pass so you'e got a decent level of fitness there mate. Just improvements here and there like the rest of us.

Wannabecannonfodder

Reaction score
having second thoughts as i applied for the army (Yorkshire Regiment) back in november due to just sitting around in college etc so wanted to do something with myself. if i stuck with the army id head to scotland on march 20th for fitness/interviews and thats whats drawing me towards the army because i dont want to be sitting around any longer.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with joining the Scottish Regiments if that's what you seek, but if aiming for the Royal Marines with two years prep time available, it's odd that anyone would want to go for a quick fix rather than train harder.

Statistically, those joining the Army in the belief that it will get them to a stage of preparedness to later join the Corps seldom achieve the longer term goal.

Reason? They must complete around 4 years in the Army before eligble to transfer. Very few are prepared to lose 4 years seniority and start afresh on the New Entry Rate of Pay as an RM Recruit.

We did have a RAF Police Corporal do just that a little while back but they are a very rare breed.

D

dodgyknees

You should not let short term expediency get in the way of achieving your long term goal. If you want to join the Army, great; however, if it is a career in the RM that you really desire then having to wait a couple of extra months should not stop you.

Ninja is spot on in his comments above. Once you join the Army it is HIGHLY unlikely that you will end up transferring to the RM.

The most important thing is to have a clear objective of what you want to achieve and go for it ruthlessly.