Introduction

150Doc150

Reaction score
Good evening all!

Obviously new to the forum, so thought I'd say hi.

I'm one of the RN Medical Cadets, so have passed AIB etc but am still at Medical School. Post BRNC we get streamed into the surface fleet, submarines or RM. I'm interested in being streamed to the RM so am looking to join RMR London whilst and Medical School, and obtain my green lid via that route to ensure I can keep up with you all when treating you on operations!

Will be here primarily for fitness/training advice and also on what life in the RMR is like!

I know it sounds an odd entry, but I know a few Medical Cadets who've done the same (it's just weird because it means you're officially full-time RN Officer but attending an RMR unit).

Cheers!

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Good evening all!

Obviously new to the forum, so thought I'd say hi.

I'm one of the RN Medical Cadets, so have passed AIB etc but am still at Medical School. Post BRNC we get streamed into the surface fleet, submarines or RM. I'm interested in being streamed to the RM so am looking to join RMR London whilst and Medical School, and obtain my green lid via that route to ensure I can keep up with you all when treating you on operations!

Will be here primarily for fitness/training advice and also on what life in the RMR is like!

I know it sounds an odd entry, but I know a few Medical Cadets who've done the same (it's just weird because it means you're officially full-time RN Officer but attending an RMR unit).

Cheers!

Welcome to the site mate.

You seem to have things very well planned out but any questions and there is usually someone here who has been through it or knows someone who has.

D

dodgyknees

I would have thought Med School would have taken up all your time!

Never served with RMR but understand it is a big commitment, try not to do too much at once and make sure you understand the commitment fully before taking the plunge. OTC may be a better fit?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I'm one of the RN Medical Cadets, so have passed AIB etc but am still at Medical School.

Welcome. Just to echo the comment above by @dodgyknees about time commitment are you in your first year at Med School? The workload will really ramp up from year two onwards.

I'm not saying that RMR is not do-able. Hopefully you'll get some relevant feedback on here. Best of luck.

150Doc150

Reaction score
I would have thought Med School would have taken up all your time!

Never served with RMR but understand it is a big commitment, try not to do too much at once and make sure you understand the commitment fully before taking the plunge. OTC may be a better fit?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Welcome. Just to echo the comment above by @dodgyknees about time commitment are you in your first year at Med School? The workload will really ramp up from year two onwards.

I'm not saying that RMR is not do-able. Hopefully you'll get some relevant feedback on here. Best of luck.

Cheers both for the feedback!

Have completed 3rd year, and am currently doing an intercalated BSc in Pre-Hospital Emergency Medicine and will begin 4th year in September.

Completely understand what you're saying, but I suppose it all comes down to time management

Chelonian

Reaction score
Have completed 3rd year, and am currently doing an intercalated BSc in Pre-Hospital Emergency Medicine and will begin 4th year in September.

Fair enough. Clearly you're making an informed decision. Aside from general advice there are a few RMR London blokes on the forum so they'll be able to give you some pointers. I think that @posh_punter is one of them.

Bootra

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hope it's a bad buzz, but I was informed last week that the RMR head shed have now put a stop on this. Apparently anyone outside the RMR (Drs, Chaplains etc) will have to do the AACC in order to get their green lid. I got the int from an RMR det OC, so I'd say it's gen.

D

dodgyknees

Whatever happens, I hope you achieve your goal. We had a RN Doc on my All Arms Course. Great bloke and awesome for unofficial medical advice and the odd Brufin and tubi-grip from his med stash.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hope it's a bad buzz, but I was informed last week that the RMR head shed have now put a stop on this. Apparently anyone outside the RMR (Drs, Chaplains etc) will have to do the AACC in order to get their green lid. I got the int from an RMR det OC, so I'd say it's gen.
Must admit I've not heard this but it makes sense in many respects.

A Naval Medical Officer doesn't need to be a fully trained Commando Rifleman to serve with 3 Commando Brigade and whilst I do get what the individual's seek, they are a high value asset unlikely to need or to use the depth of rifleman soldiering skills, much the same as all others undertaking the 9 week AACC. Then again, cost-wise paying a med student a year's RMR Other Rank recruit wage (for no gain to the RMR) probably costs about the same as 9 weeks wage doing AACC as an RN Medical Officer (leaving a gapped medical billet)

The RMR route at Med School is a fairly well trodden path but generally during years one or two of the degree where time is supposedly easier to manage.

Then again a medical student joining the RMR could declare he wishes to remain in the RMR whilst working as a qualified civilian doctor in his or her day job. It's certainly been done before.

150Doc150

Reaction score
Must admit I've not heard this but it makes sense in many respects.

A Naval Medical Officer doesn't need to be a fully trained Commando Rifleman to serve with 3 Commando Brigade and whilst I do get what the individual's seek, they are a high value asset unlikely to need or to use the depth of rifleman soldiering skills, much the same as all others undertaking the 9 week AACC. Then again, cost-wise paying a med student a year's RMR Other Rank recruit wage (for no gain to the RMR) probably costs about the same as 9 weeks wage doing AACC as an RN Medical Officer (leaving a gapped medical billet)

The RMR route at Med School is a fairly well trodden path but generally during years one or two of the degree where time is supposedly easier to manage.

Then again a medical student joining the RMR could declare he wishes to remain in the RMR whilst working as a qualified civilian doctor in his or her day job. It's certainly been done before.

Hi Ninja and others,

Cheers for your input.

With regards to the RMR wage, I wouldn't receive this I don't think. If I attended URNU instead, I get 2 drill nights a term travel expenses covered and that's it and it would be the same with RMR as I receive the RN Medical Cadetship salary as of September.
Completely understand that being a Medical Officer means I am unlikely to need the same depth of skills, but as discussed above, me joining the RMR and obtaining my green lid through that route costs the Military nothing, compared to the 9 weeks of a post-BRNC Medical Officer wage. Also, doing it through this route is less risk to the Navy, if I were to do the AACC post-BRNC and got injured, then I am essentially useless and they would be a Doctor down on their ships etc, however doing it at Medical School would mean that if I were to sustain an injury I'd have a minimum of two full years before joining BRNC.

But I understand the power that be in the RN Hierarchy might not see the logic in this plan!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hi Ninja and others,

Cheers for your input.

With regards to the RMR wage, I wouldn't receive this I don't think. If I attended URNU instead, I get 2 drill nights a term travel expenses covered and that's it and it would be the same with RMR as I receive the RN Medical Cadetship salary as of September.
Completely understand that being a Medical Officer means I am unlikely to need the same depth of skills, but as discussed above, me joining the RMR and obtaining my green lid through that route costs the Military nothing, compared to the 9 weeks of a post-BRNC Medical Officer wage. Also, doing it through this route is less risk to the Navy, if I were to do the AACC post-BRNC and got injured, then I am essentially useless and they would be a Doctor down on their ships etc, however doing it at Medical School would mean that if I were to sustain an injury I'd have a minimum of two full years before joining BRNC.

But I understand the power that be in the RN Hierarchy might not see the logic in this plan!
You can only draw one source of income and so far as I'm aware, once drawing an income from the medical cadetship, you are essentially an associate member of the URNU under normal circumstances and I've not heard of people being permitted to be a List 7 Reservist (URNU) and List 5 Reservist (RMR), simultaneously even if only drawing pay from one ...and you cannot be an officer cadet and other rank simultaneously.

That's the main reason Med undergrads usually do the RMR bit year one or two, before the cadetship commences in year three.

You'll need to confirm what you can and can't do with AIB.

150Doc150

Reaction score
You can only draw one source of income and so far as I'm aware, once drawing an income from the medical cadetship, you are essentially an associate member of the URNU under normal circumstances and I've not heard of people being permitted to be a List 7 Reservist (URNU) and List 5 Reservist (RMR), simultaneously even if only drawing pay from one.

Agreed. I would not being drawing pay from either and would not be a member of URNU if accepted to join the RMR.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Agreed. I would not being drawing pay from either and would not be a member of URNU if accepted to join the RMR.
So far as I'm aware you can only join the RMR as an Other Rank, so cannot be on an Officer Cadetship simultaneously. It tends to be either/or.

AIB will advise.