Introduction

Striker

Reaction score
Hello all,

Firstly i'd like to thank all the regulars of this forum, I've spent the last few weeks trawling it for information and it's been a gold mine, really wish I'd known about it when I was on my weight loss journey!

Ex-fat bloke, peaked at about 200lb now down to 135lb in just under a year (5ft 10), now working on my CV in hopes of joining the best boys club/family around. Currently only maxing situps and pullups however I can see the latter changing as I'm starting to bulk up again, my CV isn't up to par as the last few years of my life have been pretty sedentary (software dev student/gamer), only recently managing to run 1.5miles at a slow pace without stopping... Signing up to the gym/swimming next week so I'll post timed stats in due time. I'm aiming to have my application in within the next 2 months, preferably having attended an RMAD to reassure myself that I am in fact ready as can be and to touch base with those who have already walked the path.

I have yet to make a trip to my AFCO, I will be doing so in the coming month to get the ball rolling once I know where I stand fitness wise. Open to questions/advice and once again thanks to all, looking forward to participating in this forum in whatever way I can.

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome!

Great stuff on losing the weight! Think of it as one step closer to your green lid!

Get stuck in and don't be afraid to ask questions. Plenty of us here with the knowledge to help you pack some lean mass on!

Striker

Reaction score
Thanks mate, I certainly will, I've got the image of the lid engraved into my mind and it's proved to be a real motivator for sure.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Well done on losing the weight, but I believe that you've gone too far. Your 135lbs equates to around 61kg. The minimum weight for entry is 65kg, so you'll have to put some of that back on before your medical.

As regards fitness, you need to get the running in as soon as possible. Improvements in times will come, but it's a slow progress. Plenty of advice on here. Just use the Search function, or ask.

Good luck

Alan

Striker

Reaction score
Thanks Alan, my school of thought at the time was I had to eat at a caloric deficit until I had lost the majority of my fat and I've only recently reached a point where I'd consider that achieved, shouldn't, fingers crossed, be too difficult to put the 4kg back on in the time frame I've set myself. As for the running I'll continue my every other day routine I have currently until I've built up some endurance then I plan on daily alternations of HIIT and upping my miles on my normal jog.

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Alan, my school of thought at the time was I had to eat at a caloric deficit until I had lost the majority of my fat and I've only recently reached a point where I'd consider that achieved, shouldn't, fingers crossed, be too difficult to put the 4kg back on in the time frame I've set myself. As for the running I'll continue my every other day routine I have currently until I've built up some endurance then I plan on daily alternations of HIIT and upping my miles on my normal jog.

Smash the weights and smash the food and you'll build that 4kg in no time. If you havent lifted weights before youll make rapid gains in your first training year. We call them "Beginner gains"

Striker

Reaction score
Recently got myself a bench and barbell, plan on using it once I make space for it (in hindsight I should've done so before getting it) so here's hoping, also got 5kg of protein powder to help get the calories in since I'm adamant I'll be eating as clean as I can plus drinking the calories is easier for me.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Recently got myself a bench and barbell, plan on using it once I make space for it (in hindsight I should've done so before getting it) so here's hoping, also got 5kg of protein powder to help get the calories in since I'm adamant I'll be eating as clean as I can plus drinking the calories is easier for me.
Just to make sure you understand, that although protein supplements are ok now, if and when you enter RT they are a banned substance. If you want to gain weight, then eat more.

Also, with regards to weights, they're fine, but in order to pass your PJFT and then PRMC, you need to be training specific. i.e. treadmill for the PJFT and then all the elements for the PRMC. @arny01's plan is good and will see you over the finishing line, but it's done mainly outdoors and in all weathers.

Good luck

Alan

Striker

Reaction score
Yeah I understand they're not allowed in RT, I'll stop using them a few weeks prior to my medical it's just an easy way to maintain my macros without spending excessive amounts of money on chicken haha. I'm trying my best to eat clean so my current diet consists of chicken, tuna, sardines, eggs, oats, various fruit and veg, wheatabix, rice and pasta.

As noted in my previous post I'll be signing up to a gym/swimming bath towards the end of the week, couldn't agree more with the notion of training with specificity for specific goals, I've been working my way through Sean Lerwills posts/videos and this is something he echos. I'll stick with my current plan and work towards something like arny's plan when I've got more endurance, I think one round of hill sprints and I'd be 6ft under currently haha, something to work towards though for sure, thanks