Introduction

AndyAndy94

Reaction score
Hi guys,

A quick introduction from myself. I'm a 23 year old graduate from the South West. I am awaiting the FSB decision after a pass at POC and AIB, and hoping to be on the 2018 batch.

Currently also booking in interviews with Army Infantry regiments as a backup. (AOSB pass also).

Cheers!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the site, fingers-crossed you'll make the cut for the Royal Marines.

As you may already be aware, it is fairly common practice for RM Officer applicants to run a dual application.

For as long as the Corps does not allocate entry dates on a first past the post basis, it remains a thorughly logical avenue. Snag is, from a recruiting perspective, if you pass POC and AIB, you are technically good enough to join but I suspect we may lose viable applicants because the AOSB offers a place at the point of passing.

AndyAndy94

Reaction score
Thanks Ninja.

Hopefully I won't need any plan B's but we'll see. The tough decision would be whether or not to stick it out for another year and try again, going through POC & AIB potentially not to make the grade again.

At this point, very much bored of the civvie time filler job, I'm inclined to say I'd choose Sandhurst over another year of uncertainty.

Chelonian

Reaction score
...I'm inclined to say I'd choose Sandhurst over another year of uncertainty.

A pragmatic approach would be the sensible way to go. If you need to deploy plan B any thoughts about Army regiments?

AndyAndy94

Reaction score
A pragmatic approach would be the sensible way to go. If you need to deploy plan B any thoughts about Army regiments?

I'm not certain on exact regiments yet, but definitely keen on infantry. I've got some visits lined up with The Rifles and The Yorkshire Regiment. I may well try to visit some armoured infantry if the chance arises also.

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Why not the paras? If you’re up for the challenge of RM training then P Coy might be right up your alley!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Why not the paras? If you’re up for the challenge of RM training then P Coy might be right up your alley!
Sigh. And there was me thinking we were being pragmatic and sensible on this thread.

THE Parachute Regiment?!
(Big font for the hard of hearing)

Pah. Who could possibly think such a thing?
(Daily Telegraph shook vigorously, between trembling, clenched fists, toast rack wobbles on table.)

Seriously though, it probably is the logical altenative consideration for many and vice versa.

D

dodgyknees

My son was in the same boat as you last year. He was surprised at the difference in
It's definitely worth visiting as many regiments as you can; even ones in which you have no immediate interest.
This is spot on. Cast your net as wide as you can as Army Regts differ in ethos considerably. On your visit ask yourself 'is this a bunch of blokes I could spend my career with?' Maybe also try a Corps such as the Royal Engineers to see what they have to offer. Hope you don't need your plan B, but very wise to have one. Good luck.

AndyAndy94

Reaction score
All good advice, thanks very much. I do intend to visit as many as possible in case of plan B!