Introduction

abigor

Reaction score
Hey guys,

20 years, Been in Thailand for the last 2 recent years fighting and training, Had 17 bouts; won 15, drew 1 and lost 1. *text deleted* the Army is big in Thailand, they do some sort of vote which is mandatory to participate in where they pull a card with a 50/50 chance of going to the Army if they pull the one colour as a pose to the other colour.

Absolutely ON FIRE to join the Royal Marines and serve. Cannot wait for what is about to come; have to stoke up fitness levels to pass these tests in flying colours.

Pleasure to meet you guys.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
A very warm welcome. Excellent to have you with us and impressive achievements in the world of MMA.

Assuming you hold a British passport & have been living overseas for more than 180 days, you'll need a residency waiver to gain security clearance.

Be aware this can delay entry into the service so it's advisable to get a Police check print-out to indicate you have a clean Police record, a list of residential addresses and dates covering your period living overseas and a couple of references/testimonials from employers/sponsors verifying your integrity, employability, reliability & abilities.

If you are a dual national & liable for military service in Thailand, you will also need a letter from the military to confirm you are free to join the Royal Marines and exempt from any call-up, recall or reserve liability.

abigor

Reaction score
A very warm welcome. Excellent to have you with us and impressive achievements in the world of MMA.

Assuming you hold a British passport & have been living overseas for more than 180 days, you'll need a residency waiver to gain security clearance.

Be aware this can delay entry into the service so it's advisable to get a Police check print-out to indicate you have a clean Police record, a list of residential addresses and dates covering your period living overseas and a couple of references/testimonials from employers/sponsors verifying your integrity, employability, reliability & abilities.

If you are a dual national & liable for military service in Thailand, you will also need a letter from the military to confirm you are free to join the Royal Marines and exempt from any call-up, recall or reserve liability.

Ohhh I was not aware of the residency stuff, I will gather up relevant stuff in case anything comes up. I am not a national or dual citizen of Thailand though so that stuff isn't an issue, I don't think any foreigner has ever been in the Thai Military and I don't want to; the Marines is really in my heart.

Thankyou Sir and I appreciate the warm welcome.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
No worries, my guess is your security clearance will take quite some time, even with the above documentation to facilitate a residency waiver, so the sooner you commence an application and submit your security clearance application (via your AFCO), the quicker the process to join. SC for overseas applicants can sometimes take 6 to 12 months for non-EU, non-US, Irish or Commonwealth countries of residence.

abigor

Reaction score
O
No worries, my guess is your security clearance will take quite some time, even with the above documentation to facilitate a residency waiver, so the sooner you commence an application and submit your security clearance application (via your AFCO), the quicker the process to join. SC for overseas applicants can sometimes take 6 to 12 months for non-EU, non-US, Irish or Commonwealth countries of residence.

Oh man im a bit worried now, i hope this thing is no problem, recently i was only away for 4 months, not over 180, but even then i was only here for 2 months before that and was in thailand before again. Im a UK citizen born here live here and everything haha, only recent 2 and half years been away most of the time.

I hope this is not time consuming and slowing.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you've been outside of UK for any single period of over 183 days in the last five years, you'll need a residency waiver.

Multiple periods of less than 183 days resident overseas don't require a residency waiver, but can affect the speed of gaining security clearance (SC).